Forums > Max For Live

change quantize on metro

tep
July 24, 2010 | 9:31 am

Is it possible to change the @quantize value of a metro by sending it a message ?
Basically, i need to make a synced metro which could (quickly/permanently) change its synced time but keep perfectly synced to Live.

Using a single metro does fit to Live tempo but is not synced…

tep
July 24, 2010 | 12:58 pm

thanks a lot raja

but now that i learned this, i realize it doesn’t solve my problem ….

I need to make a changing metro, but as i said before, the "metro" object always fits to live’s tempo but doesn’t stay perfectly in sync with Live’s own metronome… Don’t really know how to do this. I tried to use transport, plugsync~, but they don’t have their ‘own’ tick and are only dependent on live’s one.

Any idea ? thanx again

July 24, 2010 | 3:05 pm

hi tep, i dont use M4L, but you may want to consider simply using milliseconds rather than quantize messages. If there is a way to get Live’s BPM (which there absolutely has to be), then you can find out how long a quarternote is n milliseconds through the object [!/ 60000]. Then you can divide that by any value for subdivision MS values.

here’s an example that demonstrates this along with quarternote quantization, useful for changing metro values in a live performance setting:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 24, 2010 | 5:06 pm

metro 4n @quantize 4n @active 1

Is the same as Live’s metronome.

Hopefully that should be enough to get you going.

-A

tep
July 25, 2010 | 2:14 pm

thank you people,

i know i am not very clear about what i’m trying to achieve (though the example of Comfortable works in Max, but doesn’t stay synced in M4L)

The idea is : let’s say in a bar i want a metro to jump from 8n to 4n to 1n to 16n to …. and always be sync with Max.

Dunno how to do it … Once i change a value in metro, the sync is lost. I mean, the metro follows Live’s tempo of course, but it doesn’t fit to the metronome anymore. There’s an offset.

Sorry to insist !

lul
July 25, 2010 | 3:16 pm

Hello,

you don’t say if you link your metro object to a transport object, to get Live’s timing. Or d’you use another mean?

July 25, 2010 | 7:16 pm

I’m away from my testing computer right now so I can have a look at this in the morning.

In the meantime

Why not have a bunch of metros running at different rates, and switch between them.

What you’ll actually end up with in the long run is a step sequencer, have a look at the internals of the Step Sequencer device.

-A

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)