Forums > MaxMSP

cheap (ish) multiple in audio card

December 12, 2006 | 12:52 pm

it’s been a while since the last audio card thread…

i have a show coming up, a collab AV piece which (on my behalf) involves receiving multiple channels of audio into a jitter patch for analysis and graphic triggering.

i’m after a cheap and cheerful audio card, ideally it would have 16 ch audio input and stable drivers. so preferably not m-audio gear, altho i’m open to suggestions based on ppl experience!

i’m not really fussed about number of outputs or high quality components. the audio will not actually be used for anything other than analysis > jitter…

the card needs to be mac intel compatible, the laptop which will be used is a coreduo 2.16ghz macbook pro.

after an initial search, i can only seem to find expensive audio cards which do this (motu, rme, metric halo)… anyone know of any cheaper ones which could do the job?

suggestions welcome!

justin

December 12, 2006 | 1:08 pm

has anyone used an edirol audio card?
are the drivers more reliable than m-audio?

December 12, 2006 | 7:35 pm

All the cards I know of that cost less then a house payment are only 2 channels, maybe 4, but anything with 16 will cost over a couple grand (more then likely a grand for an 8 channel, theres very few 16 channel ones)

you might want to do frequency analysis on 2 channels, or have the other person send out midi data when the sounds are triggered, or another method, because having a ripping sound card for visual analysis only is kinda overkill.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)