Forums > Gear

cheap projector recommendation

March 30, 2012 | 2:06 am

Hi All,

I need to purchase an HD video projector to test an installation in my studio and am looking for recommendations. I need something really cheap: maximum $200, but better around $100. I see there are a lot of options out there in that price range, but I’d prefer to go with a model others had used given the possibility of odd problem at the low end of the market.

Thanks!

Zach
repeaters.tumblr.com

dtr
March 31, 2012 | 4:50 pm

HD beamers at €200? which?

be aware that lower resolution projectors will take HD input but scale it down. my 800×600 native resolution beamers will take HD input but that’s not what you get on the projection screen. that’s 800×600.

March 31, 2012 | 5:45 pm

Klarstein is ok.
Best

March 31, 2012 | 7:31 pm

A quick Google search shows literally dozens of true 720p and 1080p projectors in this price range.

Also, I don’t think Klarstein projectors are available in the US.

Thanks,
Zach

April 1, 2012 | 8:24 am

That would be very surprising. I suspect that these search results are listing replacement bulbs for the various projectors you’re seeing.

dtr
April 1, 2012 | 3:53 pm

@zach: link?

April 1, 2012 | 6:21 pm

Yeah, Google Shopping fail. Looks like the algos couldn’t stand up to the misleading bulb listings and scaled "HD."

Seems you guys are correct that I can’t find a WXGA projector for under ~$450. I will debate whether it’s worth shelling out that much, but considering that this is just for proof of concept and iterative testing in my studio, I should probably just go with SVGA. However, 16:9 would be nice. Is anyone aware of any options for SD 16:9 in my price range?

Thanks,
Zach

April 5, 2012 | 8:37 pm

Your 16:9 options in this price range will be pico projectors with very low lumens output.

http://tinyurl.com/6mmpcob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)