Forums > MaxMSP

cheapest way for a huge modulation matrix?

February 7, 2012 | 3:16 am

what`s the best solution when i have about 6 modulators (envelopes and lfos) and dozens of parameters to modulate?
its a really big synth patch im workin on and i`m running out of cpu power.
any suggestions?

February 7, 2012 | 4:46 am

doesn’t seem like very many signals to use up cpu, but the first thing i’d do is increase vector size and the i/o buffer size, which you can adjust in the dsp status window– maybe reduce sample rate too if it is greater than 48000; what speed computer are you using? make sure it’s above the minimum specs for msp. another thing you can do is put the control signal generators in a poly~ and reduce the sample rate of the poly~ (see the poly~ help file for how to do that)

February 7, 2012 | 5:16 am

As Terry suggested, down-sample your LFOs and envelopes wherever possible using poly~. Be sure to turn off the resampling filters in poly~, because they can eat up quite a bit of CPU, and they will also change the output range of your LFOs. (There was a thread on this a few weeks ago)

Also, how are you connecting things? If you need a lot of possibilities, but not a lot of connections, send~ and receive~ are the way to go since you can re-route them via the "set" message. If you need a lot of connections and possibilitiesm you might look at matrix~.

I posted a modular synth project recently. It uses send~ and receive~, since I needed to be able to interconnect a ton of things, but most connections were not made. You could also wrap your send~ or receive~ objects in a poly~ to turn them off when not needed.

February 7, 2012 | 7:35 am

Here’s something I used about 4 years ago – It worked rather well for what I was doing, but this is for control signals only, so it may be too lo-res for your needs… anyway, I figured I’d post it.

It uses jitter matrices and jit.cellblock to handle a 16*24 matrix with adjustable levels.
Just looking at it now reveals things that could be tweaked, but hey… c’est la vie.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 7, 2012 | 8:11 am

when building such a mod matrix on the audio domain, i would start with the mixer part, i.e. *~ and +~es, where the different controls meet.

February 7, 2012 | 10:22 am

At this point I usually chip in to mention matrixctrl in dial mode as a way of efficiently fitting a lot of controls into a small space.
It’s not very well documented, in fact I don’t think it’s even mentioned in the .help patch, but you can give matrix~ a third argument and use matrixctrls with more than two states to make a matrix that acts like a mixer rather than a simple switcher.
It wont do much for CPU economy, (though you can always down-sample, as suggested above), but by combining the switching and level controls into one, you can save a lot of space and simplify operation.
You do have to make your own graphics, or find some, but it’s worth the effort; fwiw, I think sliders work better than dials, as it’s easier to orientate yourself when using a big matrix,
Cheers
Roger

Attachments:
  1. mtctlthing.zip

February 7, 2012 | 3:11 pm

a big thank you to all of you!
@terry
Im workin on a brand new custom mbp with a 2.5 i7 quad and 8 gb ram and a hackintosh i7 overclocked 3.8ghz and 8gb. so that should be ok. and its not the problem that the synth or the mod matrix needs the whole power but, it`s gonna be a max4live device and should run together nicely with more tracks, other instruments and fx. so i need the cheapest way possible.

@peter:
wow! your synth is amazing (as all your other stuff! you might not know, but i already learned a lot from you). i would love to study the whole structure, but my time is very limited and your patch is so complex :-)
at the moment im using a modified version of the jsui dragndrop example, matrix~ and osc-routings. the patch is not for me only and its definitlely needed that even unexperienced users should understand it (@wetterberg: thats the reason why i cant take your way, but very interesting).

@roger: thanks, i know. i already was thinking about making an extra float window with a matrixctrl in dial mode.

one more question: is it possible to have a downsampled poly~ inside an upsampled poly~? (does that even make sense?)
and i thought it would be the best to send the modulations only to the voices which are active. but how how do i manage the poly~ messages for the poly inside the poly?

sorry for my english, i hope that all makes any sense for you :-)

cheers
andreas

February 7, 2012 | 4:31 pm

Hi Andreas, as per matrix~, Roger is right about the third argument. I’ve been using that for years (in the G4 era, it was blazingly fast since it was Altivec-optimized) and it works very well.

here’s an object of mine that turns matrix~ into a mixer with volume and panning. It also does mute and solo (IIRC).

http://cycling74.com/toolbox/pm-matrixvolumepan/

For the upsampling, you can do it, but I’m curious as to the reason for doing so. (FM?)

February 7, 2012 | 4:56 pm

BTW, in my opinion, a de-centralized system (a la send~ and receive~) is way easier to implement if you’re good with abstractions. I built the modular synth in about two weeks in my spare time. The send~ architecture in that patch made everything fall into place.

February 7, 2012 | 6:21 pm

thanks peter, as i wrote: i know about that possibility with matrix~
and i already used your tool in some other patches i created (very nice!)

i don`t want to upsample my modulators i want to downsample them, but some targets are in an upsampled poly~. so the question was: what to do then? (poly~inside poly~?)
or should i make the modulations completely outside?

thanks in advance
andreas

February 7, 2012 | 7:25 pm

edit:

it must be inside the poly because all the paramters are modulatable with poly-At too, which also should be able to be the first source if there are more.

February 7, 2012 | 8:14 pm

you can have nested poly~ objects, and I assume you can have an upsampled poly~ within a downsampled one– if I were you I’d patch a test to see if it works

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)