Forums > MaxMSP

Chord-builder (with correct enharmonic spellings in different keys)

January 14, 2013 | 12:37 am

It’s pretty self explanatory.
As this is supposed to be a basis for a teaching tool, involving functional harmony is mandatory. That’s the whole point of this patcher anyway, else I’d be using an Nslider.

This is related to the "two conditions" thread from before, you can see how I solved it here. Basically converted n|#|b symbols to integers, summing the result and using a dictionary in coll to call out the right accidental.

Few quirks I’m trying to work out:
- I’ve not implemented a mechanism for setting the right octave. That means above the root E, all triads will appear as 1st order inversions. Which is a tad annoying. Still working my way through it… While implementing interpretation of 9 separately is a matter of labour, im still wrapping my head around how to build a correct chord from the root.
- I have no idea why, but when changing the number of notes used in a chord (Chord 4 and 5), you have to click the chord twice. When the number is the same and accidentals change, you don’t have to. I have no idea why is that.

If someone wants to use it, feel free.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 29, 2013 | 2:59 pm

If anyone can help me, I’m trying to wrap my head round correct chord inversions.

Any ideas?

January 29, 2013 | 3:34 pm

It’s actually not bach specific as the problem occurs before its even input into bach, so it’s about my formatting. I’ll recreate it without bach objects anyway

January 29, 2013 | 4:39 pm

What is Z12?

It’s a music theory patcher, so it needs correct accidentals (stupid things like double sharps, or double flats)

January 29, 2013 | 6:25 pm

Thank you very much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)