Clarinet and bell sound creation please help!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:59am

Clarinet and bell sound creation please help!!!!

Hi all, im new to this forum but am on a short time limit here! I have been asked to recreate a bell and clarinet like sound using a premade patch on Max and was wondering if there were any standard settings that would help me along ?

Kind Regards,
William Wink

May 19, 2009 at 10:00am

two separate sounds that is Smile

May 19, 2009 at 1:42pm

The mellow clarinet sound is created by the clarinet’s characteristic use of all odd partials- its sound can be synthesized by layering sine waves that skip partials: fundamental, 3rd partial, 5th partial, 7th partial, etc. You can do this in Max/MSP by creating a patch that emits a sine wave at a tone (220 hertz for example) then that tone * 3 (660) that tone * 5 (1100), etc.
It helps to modify the volume of the partials as well, with the volume of a partial being the reciprocal of the partial number (3rd partial being 1/3rd the volume of the first, etc.).

The sound of a bell can be synthesized using sine waves as well- the “bell” sound has a lot of high pitches clustered together, with the pitches fanning out as they get lower. Using pitches on the keyboard for example (descending)- C, B, A, F#, D, A, D#, G#, etc. with the space between each partial getting larger as frequency decreases. The envelope on a “bell” sound is very important- with a sharp attack, short decay, little sustain, and long release.

Here’s a patch that can help you to grasp the concepts: (this is one of the first patches I ever made and isn’t very tight, but does it’s job. The 2 presets are a clarinet sound and a bell sound. Be sure to send the loadbang message.)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Eli

May 19, 2009 at 2:51pm

Ah, the ever-popular “Can you do my final project for me?” patch grovel. Word to the wise: If your professor expects you to do the work yourself, then you might assume she or he actually reads the list, too.

I’m just sayin’….

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:23am

Quite an interesting approach to the bell sound that Eli, have you considered making it so that it would sound like it was struck and then decay?

Rather than a continuous sound?

J

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.