Forums > MaxMSP

Clicks with SDIF files using CNMAT's [SDIF-tuples], [sinusoids~] and three fates

November 24, 2010 | 12:49 pm

Hi, I am doing simple tests transferring SDIF files created in SPEAR into maxMSP using the above objects. I notice sharp clicks when a partial begins or ends, but only when there is more than one partial sounding. The click is a square cut-off, so I'm wondering if this in fact what is represented in the data, and the SPEAR DSP smooths it, or if it is a problem with one of the CNMAT externals (or the way I'm using them). I've attached a screen shot of a test file that plays smoothly in SPEAR and grittily in maxMSP, as well as the part of the patch I'm using to play it back. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

[attachment=147025,1429]

Attachments:
  1. test.tiff

November 24, 2010 | 7:29 pm

…the .sdif file I used to test is here in case it’s relevant. Can anyone confirm/deny it’s clickiness when playing back in maxMSP?

Many thanks

Attachments:
  1. test.sdif

November 24, 2010 | 8:11 pm

SDIF files created manually in SPEAR won’t play back very well in Max/MSP. I noticed this a number of years ago and reported it to the CNMAT team.
I assume that this is due to different handling of spectral data. Analysis files created from prerecorded sound files are not affected, interestingly.

If I were you, I’d create a sound file with two oscillators in Max/MSP and compare the data to those created manually in SPEAR. This might give you an idea of what goes wrong and maybe you can come up with a process to correct this.

Georg

November 24, 2010 | 8:50 pm

Thankyou for the confirmation. However I did notice similar results when using prerecorded files that have had their spectral information edited in SPEAR, an analysis of a voice reduced down to a few partials, for instance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)