Forums > MaxMSP

communication between max environments

April 13, 2010 | 1:29 am

I have spent the better part of 2 weeks working on a js based pair of objects that handles routing monome apps. and i have this working to an extent, but i am a little disheartened to find max for live is a different namespace or whatever. (my idea depends on send/recieve objects)

is there an ok way around this? what i am asking is, is there a way to have sends in max run time talk to max for live talk to plain ole max?

April 13, 2010 | 8:14 am

It’s not the namespace. There’s some latency involved with using send and receive in the Max for Live environment, as described here:

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/live_limitations.html

It’s definitely a known issue. I’m not aware of anything in terms of workarounds.

April 13, 2010 | 10:39 am

(i am so glad i opened up max before complaining that your link said nothing of the issue!)

but…i think i have a different issue. If i open a patcher in max (a patcher not embedded in a live object, just plain old max) that has a receive object named foo [receive foo]

and i try to send it a message from a max for live device. [send foo]

the message does not get there.

if i make the send/reveive pair in max for live objects, there is no issue and honestly, the communication is so brief that don’t notice latency when i just work in max for live objects.

April 13, 2010 | 8:22 pm

I would imagine you could get around this by using [udpsend] and [udprecieve]

April 13, 2010 | 9:00 pm

Yeah, use UDP.

-A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)