Forums > Dev

Compiling code from "Designing Audio Objects"

February 19, 2014 | 5:06 am

I just received a copy of the book "Designing Audio Objects" by Eric Lyon and was trying to compile one of the examples with Visual Studio 2013, but I’m getting the following errors:

Warning 1 warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\Data\Visual Studio\Code\MaxMSP Code\Windows Projects\mirror~\.\..\..\sdk-build\mirror~.dll) does not match the Linker’s OutputFile property value (C:\Data\Visual Studio\Code\MaxMSP Code\sdk-build\mirror~.mxe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile). C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets 1186 5 mirror~
Warning 2 warning MSB8012: TargetExt(.dll) does not match the Linker’s OutputFile property value (.mxe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile). C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets 1187 5 mirror~
Error 3 error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘.\mirror~.def’ C:\Data\Visual Studio\Code\MaxMSP Code\Windows Projects\mirror~\LINK mirror~

The first two errors may be due to the directory structure I set up and the way I’ve configured Visual Studio, but I couldn’t find the missing file ‘mirror~.def’ anywhere. I’m not even sure what a ‘def" file is, or whether it’s created when you compile, or it’s supposed to exist beforehand. I haven’t used Visual Studio before, but I believe I installed it correctly (I was able to compile a small stand-alone C program successfully).

Is the code on the CD compatible with this version of Visual Studio? This is the compiler/IDE recommended in the book for Windows systems, but it seems the code in the book was compiled and tested with an earlier version. When I opened the project I got a warning saying that the project uses an earlier version of the C++ compiler and libraries, and that the project would be upgraded to use VS 2013 compiler and libraries. Has anyone been able to compile the code with the latest version of VS?

Thanks.

April 7, 2014 | 9:09 am

I don’t have a Windows system to test this, but I would start fresh with the latest Max/MSP SDK (6.1.4), and first try compiling the audio examples that come with the SDK. Once that works, you can use the new Visual Studio projects as a model to create new projects for the code from my book. (It is expected that projects will regularly become obsolete due to changes in the SDK and/or IDE, unfortunately.) Also, see this update to the book’s code:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/for-readers-of-designing-audio-objects-for-maxmsp-and-pd/

-Eric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)