Complex Breakpoint Generator

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:35pm

Complex Breakpoint Generator

I’ve been trying to put together an automatic breakpoint generator, a bit like the one in Absynth. I’ve got somewhere with it – if you put the patch into presentation and flick through the presets you should get the idea pretty quickly.

The trouble is I now want to be able to scale the whole lot using the function furthest left, so the rhythm gradually speeds up or slows down dependent on the curve. This messes up the offset feature as each division is now a different size. I know what needs to happen – the space between the points needs to be calculated and then each offset scaled accordingly, but I’ve been trying for a good few hours and I can’t work out how to do it.

So any help appreciated. Also let me know what you think, I imagine this may be generally useful, so I’m up for sharing the whole thing if it get finished.

I’d also like to make it all operate in curve mode later, with another control on each set of points for curvature.

Ta,

Mark

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:19pm

Have you looked at the 7-segment gen~ example of an envelope generator? It’s even got curvy stuff *and* velocity scaling.

gen~.7_segment_envelope.maxpat (it’s in the gen examples folder)

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:42am

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve not delved into the delights of gen yet, so it’s a bit out of my comfort zone right now. I’ll put in a concerted effort sometime soon though!

But after lots of tinkering I think I’ve solved the issue, though it’s very convoluted.

For the record here’s my solution:

`

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

I’d be interested if anyone has a simpler way.

And here’s a picture of what I’m talking about below. I’ll post the completed device when it’s finished

[attachment=218226,5210]

Attachments:
  1. breakpoints.jpg
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11pm

nice!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.