Forums > MaxMSP

concolution reverb in maxmsp

January 23, 2006 | 4:16 pm

hi,
i would like to create a convolution reverb in msp. but the pfft object does not work. i need a block convolution object.
according to you, is it possible to implement in msp, without using a dedicate external?

thanx a lot.
ivan


January 23, 2006 | 4:55 pm

I think buffir~ is meant for such purposes, but the maximum number of samples is too limited.
you could chain some up of course;
on the other hand you might need infinite impulse response as opposed to finite impulse response, people who know much more about dsp than me will need to clear that out.
i once heard of an ircam object that does more samples, but well… see the french documentation thread.


January 23, 2006 | 5:05 pm

the object thet you speak about is rtconv~ in the ircam’s spat lib.
but i would like to realize all in maxmsp. with buffir~ you need to split the IR in block, but i don’t know how exactly.
anyone an idea?


January 26, 2006 | 6:49 am


January 26, 2006 | 10:34 am

did you say for real, man…?!? i need an help, not a joke!
i’m waiting.
ivan


January 26, 2006 | 7:02 pm

ivan antonio rossi wrote:
> the object thet you speak about is rtconv~ in the ircam’s spat lib.
> but i would like to realize all in maxmsp. with buffir~ you need to
> split the IR in block, but i don’t know how exactly. anyone an idea?

Convolution reverb is one of the most expensive processes you can think
of. This is definitely the domain of dedicated externals. Especially if
you want long impulse responses. The demand on the CPU is raising
exponantially. You’d want all optimisation you could possibly get.

Beside rtconv~ there are some vst’s you could load into Max. If you are
on a PC, I think there are even free vst’s available…

If you still plan to do it all in Max/MSP, you’ll be an expert in the
end (or in other words, this is definitely not a beginners project ;-)

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—
–_____———–|———-
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—
– _|_)—-|—–()———-
———-()————x—-

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72


January 27, 2006 | 12:04 am

At 9:16 -0700 23/01/2006, ivan antonio rossi wrote:

>the pfft object does not work. i need a block convolution object.
>according to you, is it possible to implement in msp, without
>using a dedicate external?

Easy up to 65536 samples:

http://www.pescadoo.net/annexe/max/convolver/pfft-convo-ovad .html

Tricky over.


Jean-Yves Bernier

http://www.pescadoo.net/



f.e
January 27, 2006 | 8:59 am

Honnestly, there isn’t many plugins to buy on earth (GRM Tools and some
Waves, imo) but if you plan to get one, i suggest you buy the terribly
expensive IR1 from Waves (800$). It’s the best convolution reverb in the
whole galaxy and beats any Lexicon or TC hardware. If you don’t need to
tweak the parameters in real-time, of course. Otherwise, better find a
way to borrow the Lexicon of one of your friend’s studio, if you got some…

f.e


January 27, 2006 | 9:13 am

thank you so much, man!
it’s what i’m searching for.
ivan



f.e
January 27, 2006 | 9:22 am

Sorry to say this again, but could people reply with the quote included.
I don’t know if Ivan is answering to Stefan or me ?!!

f.e


January 27, 2006 | 9:44 am

Jean-Yves Bernier wrote:
> Easy up to 65536 samples:
>
> http://www.pescadoo.net/annexe/max/convolver/pfft-convo-ovad .html

Hi Jean-Yves,

you show all these nice pictures of patches (obviously done on OS 9).
But are the patches also available somewhere? Especially the pconvblock~
which is shown in the obove link would be interesting. Is it an
abstraction or is it an external? MaxObjects doesn’t give any hint…

If the pictures show unknown objects they are not of much help ;-)

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—
–_____———–|———-
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—
– _|_)—-|—–()———-
———-()————x—-

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72


January 27, 2006 | 9:45 am

Hi,
I am considering buying a convolution reverb plug-in.
did you compare the Waves reverb with the audio ease altiverb?
I would like to use it, because you can set a point anywhere in
the room where the source of sound is placed.
but one thing I am not shure about is:
Will it be possible to upgrade the audio ease altiverb to the intel-mac?

cheers
sascha

Quote: f.e wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 09:59
—————————————————-
> Honnestly, there isn’t many plugins to buy on earth (GRM Tools and some
> Waves, imo) but if you plan to get one, i suggest you buy the terribly
> expensive IR1 from Waves (800$). It’s the best convolution reverb in the
> whole galaxy and beats any Lexicon or TC hardware. If you don’t need to
> tweak the parameters in real-time, of course. Otherwise, better find a
> way to borrow the Lexicon of one of your friend’s studio, if you got some…
>
> f.e
—————————————————-



f.e
January 27, 2006 | 10:05 am


January 27, 2006 | 10:09 am

Quote: sascha neudeck wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 02:45
—————————————————-
> Hi,
> I am considering buying a convolution reverb plug-in.
> did you compare the Waves reverb with the audio ease altiverb?
> I would like to use it, because you can set a point anywhere in
> the room where the source of sound is placed.
> but one thing I am not shure about is:
> Will it be possible to upgrade the audio ease altiverb to the intel-mac?
>
> cheers
> sascha
>

I’m a big fan of altiverb. it sounds absolutely gorgeous and is manageble on CPU (well sort off). it’s much better then SIR (pc only) as it is usable in realtime with low latency.
as all convolutionreverb it’s still a hog though.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the macintel transition, they will do it as good/fast, maybe even better then waves. don’t waves still work with that awfull shell thing? it didn’t work with my multitracker at least.
It would be great if the bionic fx convolution reverb on GPU would ever get on the mac, maybe with the transition it will : ?


January 27, 2006 | 10:19 am

I forgot to mention, that I have already the space designer convolution reverb which is included in logic pro.
but when I compare them (demo of altiverb and the space designer) I first did not hear a big difference, but after playing around more, I thing there is.
any experiences?

sascha

> I’m a big fan of altiverb. it sounds absolutely gorgeous and is manageble on CPU (well sort off). it’s much better then SIR (pc only) as it is usable in realtime with low latency.
> as all convolutionreverb it’s still a hog though.
> I wouldn’t worry too much about the macintel transition, they will do it as good/fast, maybe even better then waves. don’t waves still work with that awfull shell thing? it didn’t work with my multitracker at least.
> It would be great if the bionic fx convolution reverb on GPU would ever get on the mac, maybe with the transition it will : ?
—————————————————-


January 27, 2006 | 1:21 pm

At 10:44 +0100 27/01/2006, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

>If the pictures show unknown objects they are not of much help ;-)

Hi Stefan.

I’ve not made the objects available because they are not final.

Il you follow the link ‘index’ at bottom of page, you go there:
http://www.pescadoo.net/annexe/max/index.html
which gives access to pconvblock~ and other building blocks.

If you want the full collection let me kwnon but be warned:
"under development" (== dirty, undocumented, uncommented).


Jean-Yves Bernier

http://www.pescadoo.net/


January 27, 2006 | 3:56 pm

Jean-Yves Bernier wrote:
> Il you follow the link ‘index’ at bottom of page, you go there:
> http://www.pescadoo.net/annexe/max/index.html
> which gives access to pconvblock~ and other building blocks.
>
> If you want the full collection let me kwnon but be warned:
> "under development" (== dirty, undocumented, uncommented).

Sounds like my St.ools library (never really finished)

Yes I am interested, (in the patches, not the pictures ;-)

It might lead to solutions which are usable for you as well.
If you put them under GPL, you don’t have to do all the work yourself….

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—
–_____———–|———-
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—
– _|_)—-|—–()———-
———-()————x—-

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72


Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)