Forums > MaxMSP

Considering options for triggering visual from harp

March 13, 2011 | 9:32 pm

Dear users, I could sure use your suggestions.

I’m helping a harp player to trigger visuals by playing certain notes.

I need to recognise 14 notes. They are at least three semitones apart from each other.
Harp sounds have strong initial overtones and short duration, but have clear notches.
The performer wants to be able to trigger with both high and low velocities.
The performer wants to be able to play a *trigger* note, while plucking another at the same time.

I’ve been trying with sigmund~, pitch~ and fiddle~ but I haven’t managed to get even near to the control I need. I do get plenty of unwanted triggers, even when carefully tuning my parameters.

The options I am considering are:

A) Continue with the sigmund~ fiddle~ analyze~ etc and:
1) Get highest frequency partial and if it doesn’t change by X% in Y ms then bang
2) Break the audio input in bands. If I get a high value change in the bands I want then bang.

B) Buy a good vst/au for up to 100euro and use vst~ [ideas?]

C) Spend some money [up to 200 euro on hardware [ideas?]

If you have successfully used the aforementioned objects PLEASE let me know.
If you have suggestions on any of the other options or anything else please let me know as well.

I have a couple of months before performance.

Thanks in advance

March 13, 2011 | 10:21 pm

I respect wanting to trigger by pitch analysis but you might consider one of these:

http://www.logidy.com/

Using this USB device you can use the 3 foot switches to trigger whatever you need – basically maybe walking a list of events or some such. Definitely more "secure" with regard to less false-positives.

Hope this helps.

March 13, 2011 | 11:44 pm

Thanks for the reply earsmack,

but the idea is that the artist will be able to perform, without having anything asking for her attention. So, something like this is not an option.

anything else?

March 14, 2011 | 11:06 am

Maybe piezos under the string fed into an arduino?

March 14, 2011 | 12:38 pm

I haven’t tried it, but apparently [yin~] from CNMAT is good for pitch detection. I think it’s about $100 US.

The piezo is also a cool idea and probably wouldn’t be too tough. Or maybe there’s some sort of vibration sensor you can use (mechanical, not sound).

March 15, 2011 | 1:06 am

Thank you guys.

I am considering the piezos, If I manage some mechanical separation it should work.
Nevertheless, the idea is not to interfere with the sound of the strings and the body of the harp at all – and easy-ness of set up as well – so that’s why I’ve been focusing on pitch tracking.

If anyone has used sigmund~ pitch~ fiddle~ etc successfully and wouldn’t mind explaining/sharing, please write.

Regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)