Control Sampling Rate of a Gen~ Object

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:53pm

Control Sampling Rate of a Gen~ Object

Hi,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to control the sample rate of processes inside a gen~ object? I’d basically like to be able to down/up sample within a gen~ object without affecting max’s overall sampling rate.

Any help would be great!

Alex

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:40pm

Not directly wthin gen~, but you can wrap it inside a poly~ and up/downsample there. If you’re just doing it for efficiency, be sure to make sure that you’re not using the high-quality interpolation filters. (see the poly~ help file for more info)

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:39pm

Ah ok, thanks for the response!
I tried doing that with poly~ but it only allows you to choose sample rates that are proportional to the main sampling rate which is pretty limiting. Basically i’m trying to recreate the feedback oscillator FBSineN from SuperCollider and in that you can choose the rate (any frequency!) that it iterates through the formula.

Any other workarounds? It’d definitely be useful for other stuff as well.
I’d like to try and keep it all in Max and not use the sc3~ object or send OSC to supercollider if possible.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:08pm

Ah, okay, this is downsampling, then? Upsample by 2, then use sah and a phasor to downsample.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:15pm

Oh yeah, thanks for the help! I also didn’t notice the ‘downsamp~’ and ‘degrade~’ objects for some reason.. they also do the trick.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.