Controlling max mode: real-time and non real-time

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:31pm

Controlling max mode: real-time and non real-time

Hi,

I’m developing a java application that communicates with Max via OSC. I’m using Max as a sound engine to process sound effects in real time. The front end of the app is a Java GUI. In the GUI, the user can ‘preview’ a sound, and that option processes the sound in real-time. The user can also ‘save’ the new sound, which simply does the same thing as ‘preview’, but with the ‘record~’ object turned on.

I would like to be able to quicken the ‘save’ process, i.e. by making it happen in non real-time mode. Changing the ‘adstatus driver’ from one mode to another consistently crashes Max, so I guess this is not an option.

I was wondering whether there was a way to use MSP as a java library? Like, you do ‘import msp.*;’ in your java app and shazaam, the world of dsp is available in Java. I could then process the sounds offline when I need to save them and still use Max as a real time sound engine.

There’s another thing that I just thought could work. I could run two Max standalones, one running in real time mode and the other offline. On a single machine I wonder whether that’d work.

Apologies if my question is rather naive. Any pointer is welcome.

JB

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:15pm

Hi

Quote:
Changing the ‘adstatus driver’ from one mode to another consistently crashes Max, so I guess this is not an option.

A recent post worked out that the Freeverb object caused crashes when swapping audio driver – are you using it by chance?
Check your Max crashlog to see what is causing the problem . .
Cheers
Macciza

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.