Controlling samples

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:20am

Controlling samples

I think the most reliable way to trigger something with the bass drum would be to use a small cheap contact pickup on the skin or shell of the BD. This would eliminate spill from cymbals and other percussion. Route the output to a channel in max and use thresh~ which you set up to trigger events when the audio from the pickup exceeds your threshold.

best,

john.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:56pm

alternatively, you could use a [fiddle~] object (i think [pitch~] is similar, don’t know that one personally) and check at /around which frequency your bass drum sounds. use [split] to filter out the right domain and [trigger] whatever you like with it–and tell your bass player not to play those pitches ;)
this is no doubt a more unreliable way than using a contact mic, but in case of eg limitations on inputs on your soundcard / computer it could help, i imagine. please keep us posted about the solution(s) you come up with!
cheers, robbert

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:30am

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I have tried Fiddle~, but I didn’t work for me..and the idea with a cheap contact mic dosn’t give me the good bass drum sound that I want. I have tried Thres~ and maybe this will work. I’ll be back.
Thanks again.
Best
Simon

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:05am

I think that bonk~ will work much better than filddle~ for percusive
sound :
http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=978
and give a try to the new bonk3~ : http://www.barrythrew.com/software/

best

Mathieu

http://mathieuchamagne.com

http://www.maxobjects.com

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:47am

Simon Christensen schrieb:
> Hi Thanks for your reply, I have tried Fiddle~, but I didn’t work for
> me..

That’s why there is bonk~ from the same author. Its aimed at percussive
sounds, you can teach it to listen to your bass drum and your cymbals at
the same time… ;-)

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:55am

thanks for these reminders! so far i’ve been to lazy to go into teaching mode, i’ve only used [bonk~] for attack detection.
but i’m looking forward to spending some time on getting to [bonk~] in a more sophisticated and intricate way.
cheers, robbert

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:46pm

Simon Christensen skrev:
> Hi
> Thanks for your reply, I have tried Fiddle~, but I didn’t work for me..and the idea with a cheap contact mic dosn’t give me the good bass drum sound that I want.
The cheap contact mic approach isn’t for capturing audio, it’s ONLY for
using as a drum trigger.

andreas

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:24am

Hi everybody
Thanks so much for your concern, I’m working on it and I’ll be back.
(Have never tried a trigger on the drums, maybe I should?)
Simon

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:44am

isn’t that (for your purposes) the same as using a cheap contact mic–apart from that a midi trigger is a lot more expensive… i guess the big question here is, whether you need the sound to be amplified by your “trigger” as well. any luck with teaching [bonk~] how your bass drum sounds?
cheers, robbert

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:10pm

can you describe the problem a little clearer? just looking at your patch (with missing samples) doesn’t really help. what’s not fast enough, [gate~]‘s response to changing messages (1 or 2)? i don’t recognise that problem, when audio comes in, it goes out the outlet you specify with the message. so i guess it must be something else…
it would be helpful if you’d isolate the problem in a small patch.
good luck, robbert

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:17pm

Hi everybody
Thanks for help and consideration; my patch is finally done and it’s working! I have been away for some time, but here it is.
It ended up fairly simple and isn’t that what usually happens with Max when you use a lot of time and energy?
Thanks!
Best
Simon

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.