Forums > MaxMSP

convert signals into data values ,flawless?

December 1, 2007 | 12:25 pm

i know theres several methods with snapshot or similar to convert signal-values to data-values.this just seems to be inconvenient to me as the signals produce a wide range of values changing pretty fast. is there a way of converting the values flawless (without interruption of 20 or even 1 ms)

i encounter this problem with an lfo-patch i built where theres audio oscillators and not tables.when connecting the lfo to a freq of an osc and raising its freq. the result is totally flawless. as i tried to convert the lfo-signal-values to data-values controlling the freq of the osc, the result had errors especially when raising the freq of the lfo.due to the fact that e.g. snapshot just takes shots every ms.
i would like to have a snapshot that takes shots at 0.1 ms or less.
or even better resolving the signal-value in rt.
anyone there to help or having ideas?

December 1, 2007 | 6:28 pm

At 5:25 AM -0700 12/1/07, loook1 wrote:
>i know theres several methods with snapshot or similar to convert signal-values to data-values.this just seems to be inconvenient to me as the signals produce a wide range of values changing pretty fast.

One of the harder things in Max/MSP is how to design your patch so that the things that need to be signals are signals, and the things that want to be events are events. Pushing things back and forth across this barrier until you you are happy with the design is the art of it.

Perhaps if you posted a patch of something you are having trouble with, we could offer more specific advice.

-C

Chris Muir | "There are many futures and only one status quo.
cbm@well.com | This is why conservatives mostly agree,
http://www.xfade.com | and radicals always argue." – Brian Eno

December 2, 2007 | 8:01 pm

loook1 schrieb:
> or even better resolving the signal-value in rt.

The frequency input to all oscilators accept signals. Just don’t convert
them, stay in the signal domain…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

December 4, 2007 | 3:55 pm

i know, but i want it to give out data-values to send it out as midi-controller-data.

even if i?d built everything to be data-value the result is less accurate and not precise enough.thats why id like it to be signals first and convert the precise values of the signal into midi-data.
i tried sig2midi and its not accurate enough…

December 5, 2007 | 12:23 am

Quote: jascha wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 07:55
—————————————————-
> i know, but i want it to give out data-values to send it out as midi-controller-data.
>
> even if i?d built everything to be data-value the result is less accurate and not precise enough.thats why id like it to be signals first and convert the precise values of the signal into midi-data.
> i tried sig2midi and its not accurate enough…
>
>
—————————————————-

Your signal rate is probably 44.1k 16-bit numbers per second, or 705.6 Kbits/sec. MIDI standard is 31.25 Kbits/sec. In other words, there is no way to accurately represent a typical audio signal as MIDI.

mz

December 5, 2007 | 12:50 am

your problem is not the conversion, is the midi standard that is not enough accurate.

bbye

L.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)