Converting point cloud to mesh?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:53am

Converting point cloud to mesh?

Is anyone else converting point clouds to meshes now? I think I could make a patch for that and share it by exporting to Meshlab. I don’t have Kinect, but research indicates that’s the most common cause of the need.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:20pm

I did a simple geometry shader to convert the point cloud in max to triangles output with only near-ones connected.
I will be very interested to see a source code for doing the same in the max matrix domain.
do you have any source code to share…
i will try it anyway in java.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:51pm

i think that this patch can help you:

`

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Aug 8, 2012 at 1:41pm

Hmm, That shows how luminance can create a mesh from a 2D image inside Jitter, without .OBJ export. Interesting )

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:55pm

What I found so far, for export to Meshlab, is a recently renewed thread on .obj export via a JavaScript routine here:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=11950

and what seems to be a useful object for this:JIT.SPILL, which outputs a data in separate planes, hence for example:

[jit.matrix 3 float32 10 3]
-> [jit.spill @plane 0 @listlengeth 10]
-> [jit.spill @plane 1 @listlengeth 10]
-> [jit.spill @plane 2 @listlengeth 10]

Each of which can feed into COLL and sorted by ZL, but I haven’t made collections in MAX before, so this could take a while… An expert could do it all in JIT.GEN, I’m sure, but it’s too opaque for me to develop that way. I find JIT.SPILL helpful as a jitter beginner, because it can connect to the right inlet of a MESSAGE object and display the results on the screen while I’m figuring it out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.