converting stereo – mono on the fly

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:35am

converting stereo – mono on the fly

Hi guys, ive been looking for a piece of software for a while now which can convert stereo sound into mono, effectively doubling a sound card output on a mixer.

i currently use dj software traktor pro, which allows 4 decks to be played simultaneously all at stereo sound (meaning 8 outputs needed) however my mixer only supports 6. is there a way i can technically ‘marry’ one of them up meaning 1 deck can come through L output and another deck play though R as mono sound eg (2/1 – 2/1)? i hope this makes sense.

thanks in advance, Simon

edit: hopefully this diagram will explain things better – http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5834/stereomono.jpg

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:14am

this is not really max stuff, but can’t you assign, say, deck 3 and 4 to output 5-6 and hard pan them left and right so that you get deck 3 through output 5 and deck 4 through output 6?
if traktor won’t let you to pan, you can probably use rewire to route sound to max or logic to do the assigning.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:41pm

Max should let you bring in all 8 channels via adc~, then you can route however you want (including wacky configurations on the fly using matrix~) out to your dac~. If your sound card is recognized, you would use dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 and route the appropriate signal cords to the respective outlets.

If you haven’t used Max before, try out the 30-day demo and read up in general a bit, then look at the help patches for dac~, adc~, matrix~, and probably [preset] where you can easily store different configurations for your routing (the matrixctrl UI element hooked up to matrix~ which does the actual signal routing).

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:20pm

In Traktor, if you only assign the left channel of a deck to an output of your sound card, the program switches to mono by itself (this is in the manual). No need for extra software, let alone Max/MSP.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.