Forums > MaxMSP

Counter MSP

May 28, 2013 | 3:10 am

Hello,

I made a counter in MSP with these functionalities :
- reset the counter
- sets the direction (up or down)
- sets the mode (auto or manuel) : in auto mode it’s like the combinaison metro / counter in Max domain and in manuel mode, the user send a bang.
- sets the maximum count
- sets the speed (auto mode) : like with metro speed
- count one tick (manuel mode) : like sending bang to counter

The counter works, but I have only one issue with the direction. When the user change the direction, the counter doesn’t update the direction at the right tempo but immediately. I want the same behavior as the Max counter, so if I set a 1000 ms speed and I change the direction after 800 ms, I want that my counter wait 200 ms before it updates the direction.

Any idea ?

Thanks for the help

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Another question : which version is better ?

May 28, 2013 | 5:08 am

Sah~ could help

<code>

</code>

May 28, 2013 | 7:11 am

Thanks ! It’s a good beginning ! But is it enough precise ? Because phasor doesn’t really reach 1, so the value 0.9999 si an approximation, no ?

Now, when the direction change, it doesn’t countdown from the previous value. Maybe the way I made the countdown isn’t the best way to do this ?

May 29, 2013 | 1:55 pm

Here’s some tweaks. I’ve swapped out some of the logic (e.g. the if else) for things that may be a little more Max-ish. Ultimately, however, this is the type of thing that would best be handled in gen~ because the logic is much simpler when you can base it on previous states of the counter (since you can have single sample feedback in gen~)

<code>

</code>

May 31, 2013 | 11:59 am

Thank you for the help Peter ! Clever ideas in your version !
The first part is clear for me and way better than mine, but I don’t understand all the second part (pong and modulo subpatch). Why there is %~ 8 / +~ 8 / %~ 8 in the modulo subpatch instead of only %~ 8 ? Because the result seems to be the same no ?

Edit : I understand now the subpatch modulo (to avoid negative value in down direction).

Why the abs~ object is useful here ? Because when I check the out value from delta~ with number~ and print, it’s always positive (0.000023). But if I erase the abs~ to test, it does not work anymore.

I made a version based on yours. I can’t see how to reset the signal accumulator at the tempo and in signal domain. In your version, it works great but the reset isn’t synchronize with the main tempo.

May 31, 2013 | 11:29 pm

You can use rate~ to run the reset at a multiple of the accumulator’s clock signal. (e.g. rate~ 16 should reset once per 16 pulses)

The abs~ is there so if you had a negative frequency in your phasor~, it would still work, since you’re just looking for a big jump, regardless of direction. You shouldn’t be seeing negative frequencies if you’re just specifying in milliseconds, but say you add an LFO, etc. later…one less bug to find.

<code>

</code>

June 14, 2013 | 10:41 am

Thanks Peter ! It works perfectly, but I have a problem to reset the signal accumulator at the right tempo, because if I change the min or max value, it updates the rate immediately.
I think the max value must be stored and send only when the count reach the min value. I try with gate and sah but it doesn’t work… any idea to achieve this only in MSP ?

<code>

</code>

June 14, 2013 | 11:35 am

I think you need to sample and hold the min/max values.
What about using scale~ for that?

<code>

</code>

June 15, 2013 | 11:13 am

Thanks for your help !
I have an error with the scale~, it’s an external object ?
The sah~ is a good beginning, but the timing isn’t perfect yet.

I try a new version with your ideas and without the pong~ object, but I don’t succeed to make it work… If I want to update the min and max values without breaking the tempo, I must update the rate~ only when the phasor~ ramp is over, but when the sah~ is connected to rate~, the counter doesn’t work anymore…

<code>

</code>

June 15, 2013 | 12:20 pm

scale~ is a native object. I guess you have something wrong in your search path.
Look for a file in your search path with the same name.

" but when the sah~ is connected to rate~, the counter doesn’t work anymore…"

If you want to process the same vector you will need to introduce a vectorsize delay. Send~ and receive~ will do the job.

Have you tried with gen?

June 16, 2013 | 2:40 am

I search for the scale~ object but I didn’t find it.
Is it a Max 6 object ? Since, I’m still on Max 5 (and so I couldn’t use Gen).

I don’t really understand your explanation with the vectorsize delay. If I use a vectorsize delay, the counter timing will be inaccurate no ?

June 16, 2013 | 12:43 pm

yes, you will get a delay of n samples. (n is your signal vector size)
but you can avoid the delay using the first routine of your patch to trigger the max value.
something like this should work:

<code>

</code>

June 16, 2013 | 3:27 pm

Thanks ! It’s almost what I want.

The only issue I see is when I change the max or min value. The counter update with the good values only after one count. For example, if it counts from 1 to 4, and then I choose a max value of 5 during the count, the counter will count from 1 to 6 one time, and then with the good range : 1 – 5.

Those timing issues make me crazy :)

June 16, 2013 | 4:06 pm

I think you need to trigger the min max vals with the same impulse from the first sah object.

June 17, 2013 | 3:55 am

I’ve already try this but it doesn’t work. And I have also the same issue with the send~ and receive~ object.

June 17, 2013 | 5:16 am

<code>

</code>

August 18, 2013 | 8:46 am

I work on those timing issues since many weeks and I still have the same problem !
So, I decided to make it again from zero and I saw that the first timing issue happens when I change the rate multiplier value from the rate~ object.

Example :
- I set my rate at 4
- My counter count from 0 to 3
- If I change the rate value (for example 5), it count from 1 to 5 one time, and then from 0 to 4, but I want it to count from 0 to 4 immediately !

any idea ?

August 24, 2013 | 9:03 am

Hello everyone,

I uploaded two videos to show the problem :

[video src="http://www.deb8076.eu/Videostutos/CompteurMax.mp4" /]

[video src="http://www.deb8076.eu/Videostutos/CompteurMax1.mp4" /]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)