Forums > Jitter

counting 4 people

March 3, 2010 | 11:17 am

Hello I am sorry for my english.
I am trying to find for a project a way to count until four people in front of a monitor, I was trying some examples that I found here like detecting faces, but you really need to be too close of the screen and looking straight to the camera. After this I was trying with examples of blob tracking but when two pesons get close, instead of counting two blobs it appear a big one.
I do not know if I did really explained well, I want to know how many people is in front of the monitor, being 4 the maximum, just count 1, 2, 3, or 4.
Any example or tip would be really apreciatted.

thanks

March 3, 2010 | 10:18 pm

I don’t know anything about face-tracking/recognition, but have a look at this work and there may be something there

http://www.youtube.com/user/interactiveartsNI

March 5, 2010 | 5:27 am

The best way to do this, if you are using a camera, is to use face detection (the cv.jit library). The face detect object gives you an ongoing count of how many faces are visible to the camera.

Try downloading the full OpenCV release, it includes many many more Haar cascades (the input files to the face detection object). I have had excellent results detecting people, though they do have to be looking at the camera.

Detecting people who are not looking at the camera is a seriously difficult problem that has not really been solved in computer science.

Alternatively, you may want to consider using a sensor-based system in addition to the camera to help detection. Maybe have an overhead IR camera looking down, illuminate the floor with an IR floodlight, and then count blobs.

March 28, 2010 | 10:24 pm

sorry that it took me 3 weeks to answer, thanks for your help I was not at home, A question I do have is how I add the Haar cascades and where I download them.
thanks in advance

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)