Counting Loops with groove~

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:56pm

Counting Loops with groove~

I am trying to figure out how to count loops with the groove~ object. The right outlet apparently oscillates between 0. and 1. as the loop plays, at least its suppose to, I think. So every time the loop restarts it should output a 0. right? Well it seems that’s not the case. I can’t figure this out. Whats going on with groove’s right outlet? I have searched the forum with no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:27pm

The right outlet outputs a ramping signal going from 0 to 1 for synchronisation purposes. You can see it if you connect a [number~] box. Here is one method of counting loops. You might want to look at the use of [snapshot~] in the helpfile as well.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Dec 1, 2008 at 10:28pm

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:11pm

Ok so I was on the right track. I was using the edge~ object but had it set ==~ 0 which for whatever reason didn’t bang… Either way ==~1 was the better choice and consequently gets me where I need to go. Yea, I have been using snapshot to output the numerical data of the right groove outlet and then using that with line and groove to show playback position. Thanks for the help!

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:16pm

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:26pm

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Nathan wrote:

> So every time the loop restarts it should output a 0. right? Well it
> seems that’s not the case.

It is the percentage of the file played, so depending on several
factors is will never really reach 0. or 1. exactly.

This approach might be good enough for you:

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.