Forums > MaxMSP

CPU

February 10, 2014 | 4:03 pm

Hi,

It would be good to know which object is eating up the CPU. Sometimes its impossible to figure out exactly which object is eating up CPU. Quite often, there is a particular object that will eat every signle bit of CPU, and its impossible to track it down… In M4L this sometimes happens after 30 minutes of using a patch, making it even more difficult to understand where and why it is happening. Just a simple % of each object and the CPU it is using would be good.

Rant Over!.

February 10, 2014 | 4:38 pm

Hi !

i know .

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

-
sometimes it helps to find out how long it take for an operation to finish , i dont know any better way .

if you are using preset interpolation , or automating parameters that are in relation with pattrstorage , you may see higher cpu utilization .

EDIT : updated

February 10, 2014 | 4:46 pm

Cool! This will help with the flow in certain processes. What about continuous processes? For instance if I have a counter driving a dial, the process never ends, so Im wondering how I can detect cpuclock time? Ive just put a [speedlim 50] on there for the time being, but id love to know why this is happening. Wish I knew more about these objects and how they can be used to optimise :)

February 10, 2014 | 4:56 pm

you cant get precise results here as object that measure "stuff" also are doing their job with CPU at time .and often from time to time the result might vary , you can see also that UZI results differently (it bangs fast like crazy) , but the result is somehow compromised or optimized , not sure (or its spread over cpu cores ? really not sure ,as im seeing faster times than simple bangs).

here
you can bang your "buddies" as shown in the patcher through the middle outlet of "our" trigger .

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 10, 2014 | 5:04 pm

as for optimization . the less on the road the faster / lighter for CPU .

February 10, 2014 | 6:23 pm

a counter will always need the same processing power, for every value it outputs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)