Forums > Dev

crash of jit_linklist_insertindex()

July 8, 2011 | 5:41 pm

I’m writing the jit.openni external using your Max SDK. I am having difficulty with the jit linked list module.

If I call jit_linklist_insertindex(pLinkedList, pObject,0L) on an empty linked list, the insert fails and Max crashes. This is not the behavior I would expect. ;-) Since I gave it the head (0L), I would expect it to insert one node in the list.

My intention is to have storage for registering/unregistering callbacks in jit.openni. Rather than a fixed size callback function array, I think a linked list is more flexible. The data I want to store in the linked list is the callback function pointer.

Is there an oversight in my code or your sdk leading to this crash? I am able to use jit_linklist_append() and then right after it use jit_linklist_objptr2index() to get the index of what I stored. And then use the undocumented jit_linklist_index2ptr() to get the pointer. I prefer the pointer because the index is not guaranteed to change spontaneously through sorting, insert by another thread, etc. Seems messy.

There are some nice undocumented functions I can see in jit.linklist.h but unfortunately some of the good ones (that I would use) are not exported.

A 2nd question. I am storing a pointer to a callback function, not a pointer to a t_jit_object. When time to rid myself of a linked list node when unregistering the callback, I am using jit_linklist_chuckindex() because …delete() appear to try to free the object of the pointer. Is this approach ok? And since I am using …chuck(), is chuck() freeing the linked link node structure itself or is that a memory leak occurring.

Here’s my code paraphrased:

t_jit_err RegisterJitOpenNIEventCallbacks(t_jit_openni *x, JitOpenNIEventHandler funcCallback, long *pUnregister) =====================================================

void *arbitraryPointer; // note that this doesn't necessarily point to a t_jit_object, in my case its the pointer to the callback function

x->pEventCallbackFunctions = (t_jit_linklist *)jit_object_new(_jit_sym_jit_linklist);
if ((*pUnregister = jit_linklist_insertindex(x->pEventCallbackFunctions, funcCallback, 0L)) == -1) < ---------------------- crash appears to occur here
{
return JIT_ERR_OUT_OF_MEM;
}

t_jit_err UnregisterJitOpenNIEventCallbacks(t_jit_openni *x, long lUnregister) =============================================

if (jit_linklist_chuckindex(x->pEventCallbackFunctions, lUnregister) == -1) // I'm using chuck instead of delete since the pointer stored isn't a t_jit_object
{
LOG_DEBUG("linklist_delete returned an error");
return JIT_ERR_OUT_OF_BOUNDS;
}
return JIT_ERR_NONE;

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)