Forums > MaxMSP

Crashing with key presses and Max Toolbox

June 14, 2009 | 12:35 am

I get consistent crashes when pressing and releasing the X and/or Y keys in both locked and unlocked patches. Seems to only happen when the Toolbox is active, so it must be some kind of conflict with those specific keys that it uses for Distribute Objects. I’ve tried the other shortcut keys, they seem fine. Doesn’t seem to crash with an empty patch, but of course that doesn’t help matters much.

If you select some objects and use the X or Y keys, particularly if you are a little "sloppy" and sometimes have them both down, eventually you’ll crash Max, at least on this system (XP, 5.0.6). Admittedly, it means holding down the keys longer than you ordinarily would for Distribute, but a crash is a crash…

I really don’t want this to discourage people from using the Toolbox, it’s something I swear by and for the most part works great… it opens up a lot of possibilities which one might not want to do otherwise (multiple, laborious connections done with one keystroke, fantastic). Also I don’t know whether this can be/should be looked at by Cycling, and if there’s even anything that can be done about it from that end, since it’s an add-on, or whether Nathaniel might have an idea what’s happening. I just wanted to report it so people would know that it may happen. I’d be interested if the same issue exists on Mac.

September 17, 2009 | 4:42 pm

I know i’m 3 months later but yes seejay I’ve 1st had crashes w. the toolbox x and y on a mac.

But it only really happened when I 1st installed it.

It seems to have calmed down now.

I still am on 4.6 though.

phil

Nat
April 16, 2013 | 3:56 am

Just dug this up… Couple years late. Is this still happening ? Haven’t noticed this on Mac and not since Max 6.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)