Forums > MaxMSP

create a midi modifier

August 27, 2013 | 1:39 pm

the setup: controller 14 is a knob and controller 11 is a button.
how do i make it so that when i hold down #11, #14 now becomes something different like #17?

August 28, 2013 | 1:39 am

Hi
this is a bit hacky; something more refined would be possible using the [zl] family of objects:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Brendan

August 29, 2013 | 5:10 am

September 5, 2013 | 4:23 pm

thanks, both of these are great. i liked Metamax’s approach. I have a question though: how come in max.msp you need boxes that have – 1, and in pure data you don’t need them?

September 5, 2013 | 8:28 pm

Those -1 objects are translating an integer to a umenu index number (which counts from zero). So they are preventing a modulo error. But I don’t why I used a umenu in the first place. I think it’s because I used part of another abstraction I made which included a umenu. The truth is, you don’ need a umenu or even a third number box. All you really need are the top two number boxes. Just remember that it’s always the number under [sel 1] that is selected when holding the mouse button down.

-

I will say though.. regarding pure data.. you will often see [+ 0], [* 1.] or [- 0.] in Max. In those cases, it’s to convert floats and integers into one another… but that’s a different matter than offsetting or correcting for a zero/modulo error.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)