Creating a Midi Translator device to resolve multiple controller midi conflicts

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:49pm

Creating a Midi Translator device to resolve multiple controller midi conflicts

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to max for live and I am feeling rather intimitated by it’s complexity which is why I am a bit hesitant to dive in and learn more. Yes, I’m a complete noob :(

Currently I only need one thing from max for live so I’m hoping you guys could tell me if it’s possible and maybe give me some pointers :)

My live set is having some serious midi conflict issues. I have an apc 40, apc 20, korg nano kontrol, and 2 launchpads (S).
Everything works fine until I use midi map in live.

What I would need is very simlar to what bomes midi translator does, I would just much prefer being able to do this straight inside live.

I would need to be able select a controller, detect and identify an incomming midi messange, then change it’s channel and id and repeat this for each mapped midi note.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me if this is possible?

If you need any clarifications, please let me know ^_^

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:20am

M4L devices are running in Live basically like 3rd party plugins without influence on the midi mapping features of Live. So I don’t see how M4L could be used for resolving controller conflicts related to midi mapping.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:55am

Hi Broc,

Thanks for your feedback.

I wouldn’t actually need to do any midimapping within the device. I would simply need to change the value and channel of a few incomming midi messages from my apc 40.

Then I could map the new midi message comming out from the device in live.

Could that work?
Maybe one problem would be having the device receiving the midi message before live. Possibly the device could receive the midi message from the apc 40 and then in the midi preferences, the apc40′s input would be coming from the device.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:28am

What Broc is saying is that a M4L device cannot get midi before Live. Live is receiving the midi inputs first, then channels it into the devices.

Now if you have Max standalone it would be trivial to receive and modify your APC’s input in a Max patch, then send it to Live.

You could build this patch in the 30-day demo time of Max, then use it infinitely in the free Max Runtime. Patches function 100% in Max Runtime but you can’t edit ‘m. You can also have someone with Max build the patch for you and then use it in Max Runtime.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.