Forums > Jitter

Creating an infinate gridshape

March 23, 2008 | 5:28 pm

For lack of a better way to describe it,

I’m trying to create some old-school wireframe 3D visuals. At the moment i’m trying to find a way to give the illusion of traveling across a wireframe grid or though a cylinder tunnel… after playing around with the gl objects for a few days now i can’t really figure out how to approach this…

any ideas?

Cheers,

-Ian

March 23, 2008 | 6:21 pm

Maybe
? create a wireframe grid texture (with photoshop or any else)
and apply it on a gridshape object.
? then give the illusion of traveling across the shape with the tex_plane messages.
It could be a solution …

March 23, 2008 | 7:28 pm

put a camera inside a poly_moded torus and spin?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Derrick Giscloux
wrote:

>
> Maybe
> ? create a wireframe grid texture (with photoshop or any else)
> and apply it on a gridshape object.
> ? then give the illusion of traveling across the shape with the tex_plane
> messages.
> It could be a solution …
>

March 23, 2008 | 8:06 pm

March 24, 2008 | 3:14 am

this is cool stuff. You can move the camera, or the shape, or stretch it, etc., which will all do some of what you want. For "infinite", probably the texture idea is best, since it can wrap continuously. However, I don’t know how it will look compared to the wireframe mode.

For a cylinder, maybe be inside a big torus, then rotate that? Sort of a 2001 spaceship effect? Might be interesting.

So much cool stuff you can do with even these simple shapes. Don’t forget you can use .obj models with jit.gl.model, and draw them in poly_mode 1 (wireframe), so if you have a 3D program and can make models, you can use these too. You can scale, rotate, etc., but you can’t change dimensions / gridsizes like you can with gridshape.

–CJ

March 26, 2008 | 5:45 am

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)