creating expanding outlets? [if that makes sense]

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:30am

creating expanding outlets? [if that makes sense]

hello all,

been having a hard time getting this together. but i have made some objects i do like, just some simple things. but one thing i am having trouble is the outlets of the objects.
how i can i get as many outlets as i am allowed by entering a number. much like how you can have say [route], or even [gate]. you can change the outlet number by changing the number.

how can i do this for my objects? can this be done by normally patching the objects by creating an abstraction. or do i have to do the xcode path?

thanks…

lewis edwards
——
smokingbunny.co.uk

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:56am

You say objects (written in C), but you mean abstractions (made with max)? The way to do that would be scripting. But scripting should be used not to create as many outlets as required, but to remove those from that are not used. Technically it is possible to create outlets with scripting, but this action is driven by a loadbang, which produces a trigger only after the entire patch and all patch chords have been created. So the generated outlet would arrive too late, so to say.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:04pm

The common trick with abstractions is to remove the outlets that you don’t want at loadbang. Otherwise, C is great ;-)

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:10pm

I hope Emmanuel won’t mind me posting this, but I have a modified version of his ej.mout~ abstraction that demonstrates just what jvkr suggests, Lewis.

Save it as ej.mout~ and then type the number of outlets you want (1-16) as an argument.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jun 7, 2010 at 2:04pm

I don’t really mind, but if you want to comply with the license, you might just want to point to the website where you can download the all package ;-)

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:41am

wow, very nice, thanks. this was just what i was looking for, in some way, shape or form.
i think that i will have to look at the route of C in the end if i want my externals to be less heavy on patching, if you get me?

anyhow, thanks all for your help.

lewis

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.