Forums > MaxMSP

Creating expanding windows?

March 27, 2008 | 12:10 pm

Hi Peeps!
Does any one know if it possible to create expanding windows. I want to create a patch which has a very basic mode which will consist of a few menus and bang which sets every thing to go, but also want a more advanced mode which can be viewed from pressing a button which will then a expand a window to reveal all the available settings!
How can i do this? bpatcher is along the lines but that has to be manually expanded, i want it preset? Any insight would be great thanks?

March 27, 2008 | 12:24 pm

From memory, windowsize messages to thispatcher would do this.

March 27, 2008 | 12:29 pm

So what you mean is, if i had a bpatcher with some window size messages out of view, i could then trigger them via a bang, which would then change the size? Is this right?

Thanks

March 27, 2008 | 12:34 pm

I don’t think it works for bpatchers, no (although I haven’t checked) – you put thispatcher in your top level patcher, and then the message would resize the window of that. Didn’t realise it needed to be in a bpatcher.

March 27, 2008 | 12:43 pm

I think there is a "window size" command you can send to the
[thispatcher] object that will do exactly what you want. Check the
help patches for [thispatcher].

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Stuart Spencer
wrote:

>
> Hi Peeps!
> Does any one know if it possible to create expanding windows. I want
> to create a patch which has a very basic mode which will consist of
> a few menus and bang which sets every thing to go, but also want a
> more advanced mode which can be viewed from pressing a button which
> will then a expand a window to reveal all the available settings!
> How can i do this? bpatcher is along the lines but that has to be
> manually expanded, i want it preset? Any insight would be great
> thanks?

March 27, 2008 | 12:51 pm

Yeah bpatcher thats what i would like to use. I just read the thispatcher reference, its sounds like what i need, but not quite right. All i want is something similar to drop down menu but for all my subpatches.

March 27, 2008 | 12:57 pm

Just had another look and it does mention bpatcher in the section about offset. I will have a mess around and let you know how i get on. For it truly work i need the actual bpatcher to change size not whats in it. But i’ll see soon enough!

Speak soon thanks!

March 27, 2008 | 12:57 pm

Not sure what you mean by "something similar to drop down menu but for all my subpatches", but if you’re still after resizing bpatchers, I dimly recall you may be able to do this through scripting. It’s been a while though so I may well be wrong.

March 27, 2008 | 1:37 pm

Hi again.
I tried placing thispatcher in my patch, with a window size message, which works fine in the actual patch, but when the patch is placed within a bpatcher within my main patch it has no response. The message needs to be sent to the bpatcher. The reason i want to use bpatcher is so to only have one main window. What i mean by "like a drop down menu", is that when you click on the ubumenu it then drops down and reveals the list. I want to click a bang which then reveals the rest of the patch within the bpatcher.

Scripting sounds along the right line but i am unsure of how do this, a point in the right direction would be appreciated or maybe an example. Thanks

March 27, 2008 | 1:52 pm

Wam Bam Thank You Mam. I worked it out! It was in the bloody help file for bpatcher, but in the more section. So sorry wasting peoples time.
How works is to put a thispatcher in the patch within bpatcher with a inlet connected to it. Then with the bpatcher within the main patch, send offset messages to the inlet of the bpatcher.

Thats it, actually quite simple. Thanks for help everyone.

jln
March 27, 2008 | 1:53 pm

March 27, 2008 | 2:01 pm

Sorry for sending you off in the wrong direction, then. Sounds like a useful discovery – thanks.

March 27, 2008 | 6:45 pm

jln
March 27, 2008 | 8:04 pm

jln
March 27, 2008 | 8:14 pm

March 27, 2008 | 8:36 pm

Hi.
There is also a great javascript example in the Cycling tutorials pages that is especially made for that (without any connection to thispatcher!):

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2006/4/14/145031/478

Ciao.

March 27, 2008 | 8:41 pm

jln, that is fantastic! many many thanks, just what i wanted, it is a shame this is not mentioned in the manual!

While i got ur attention, i have one more question. Can i hide and reveal any object with a similar message?

March 27, 2008 | 8:47 pm

Java, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Variables, strings and all that stuff hurts my head. Kinda makes sense will have to read up on it. LOL! Thanks.

March 27, 2008 | 9:08 pm

Javascript is much simpler than Java, so you should only be left with a
mild throbbing and lights behind your eyes :)

O

Stuart Spencer wrote:
> Java, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Variables, strings and all that stuff hurts
> my head. Kinda makes sense will have to read up on it. LOL! Thanks.
>
>

jln
March 27, 2008 | 11:55 pm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)