Forums > MaxMSP

Creating Variation

Joe
March 23, 2013 | 7:01 pm

Hi guys

Got a quick question for you;

I have an audio file loaded, and its playing through sfplay~ I want this to vary in volume, pitch, maybe some eq and filtering

Any ideas how this can be achieved? It is the random variation that I am struggling with

Cheers,

J

March 23, 2013 | 7:35 pm

pink~, noise~, rand~ will give three types of random signal values which can then be *~ +~ or whatever you need. Look at onepole~, cross~, ffb~ and biquad~ for filtering. Look inside the sfplay helpfile for instructions on playback speed (pitch), or use play~ or groove~ if you prefer.

Brendan

March 23, 2013 | 7:39 pm

ps
The pedant in me can’t resist the following correction: sfplay~ doesn’t ‘load’ an audio file – it streams it from disk.; buffer~ loads samples to RAM.

B

Joe
March 23, 2013 | 10:07 pm

n00b_meister you are a legend.

Will be in touch with my progress

Joe
March 23, 2013 | 10:55 pm

Just a quick question about the first three you mentioned

I am trying to manipulate the audio file to create an audio variation and the first three you mention just create a variation of audio. So can they be used to vary the audio file I have loaded?

J

March 23, 2013 | 10:55 pm

Here’s an analog oscillator emulation I did for a class that has some guts you could look at for creating variation.

Joe
March 24, 2013 | 12:09 am

Okay, cheers for that

I am not sure I am getting across what I am trying to say.

I have audio file loaded (now buffer~), how do I add some pitch, volume etc variation to this audio file. So every time I play it, it will sound slightly different. Nothing major, but enough to make you think it is a slightly different sound

Thanks for that patch though, super cool and I understand what you are getting at with it, but I need to vary and Audio file rather than midi notes

Cheers,

J

March 24, 2013 | 12:22 am

That’s why I said take a look at the *guts* of the patch. The sub patcher "deviation" can be connected to anything you want. Adjust the values in the scale objects to suit your needs with a groove~ or play~ and you can get some variation.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)