Forums > MaxMSP

cross synthesis

March 10, 2014 | 7:16 am

Hello,

I’d like to crossfade two audio files using a horizontal fader, where at the most left point of the fader you only hear Audio1, and at the right you only hear Audio2. In between I need a crossfade using a technique like cross synthesis.

I followed the max tutorial at http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/tutorials/msp-tut/mspchapter26.html, but I have no idea on how to implement this on a fader such described by me.

Thanks for reading, greets Rowan.

March 10, 2014 | 8:06 am

Here’s an example that does what I think you want. I used ring modulation instead of cross-synthesis for simplicity, and a straight linear crossfade law. Sound 1 goes from pure to modulated as the master fader goes from 0 to 0.5, and sound 2 goes from modulated to pure as the master fader goes from 0.5 to 1, and those two results are in turn crossfaded by the master fader.
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

March 10, 2014 | 9:30 am

Hi Christopher,

Thanks a lot for your reply, although I cannot get it to work the way you say it works.

From 0 to 0.5 Audio1 gets faded in, and from 0.5 to 1 Audio2 gets faded in as well (together with Audio1)…

Greets

March 10, 2014 | 11:46 am

You’re absolutely right. I had a bug in my mix~ subpatchers. Apologies. Try this corrected version.
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

March 10, 2014 | 12:17 pm

Thanks a lot for your effort, how would I go about implementing an pfft~ in this?

March 10, 2014 | 11:13 pm

Just put it in the patcher called "cross-synthesis" in place of the *~ object I put in there as a placeholder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)