Forums > MaxMSP

Crossfade between two different audio files from a buffer?

October 9, 2012 | 9:04 pm

Hello,

I’ve been searching and searching and can’t manage to get this to work. I have a buffer with three audio files in it. If one is playing one of the others gets a bang, the one playing needs to crossfade with the new one. I have attempted to use the line~ object but to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. Patch is posted below.

thanks,
Dan

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

October 10, 2012 | 5:22 am

hey
you don’t have one buffer, you have one polybuffer which contains several buffers
you should have three different play~ objects if you want to read three sounds at the same time
something like that could work if you have short samples

you should definitely check out the help file of polybuffer under the tab "sampler"
and the help of poly~
best

October 10, 2012 | 7:34 am

Also, I don’t see the way you bang a second sound when one is playing. Is that what the [change] object is used to ?

October 10, 2012 | 7:42 am

Smart auto-crossfade system Florent !

October 10, 2012 | 1:38 pm

oh no it’s not smart at all… try it with long sounds and you’ll see what’s wrong with it!

October 10, 2012 | 3:49 pm

thanks guys! this really helps.

October 11, 2012 | 6:40 am

@Florent : I know that if you send a bang as soon as one sound is playing(which is what the original poster intends to do), you’re going to play it for 1000 ms, even if it’s shorter – so I would say this is more embarassing than with long samples considering Danscofi wants to crossfade between sounds. Is that what you mean ? Maybe a solution could be to delay the bang accroding to each sample duration ?

October 11, 2012 | 1:50 pm

no, the issue with my patcher was that I was sending [1, 0 500] to all the other-than the current line~ objects
one possible way to deal with that would be to keep track of the previous "player" played
something like that might work

October 31, 2012 | 7:30 pm

You don’t need to send (1, 0 500) to line~, (0 500) is sufficient, so if they are at 0, they remain to 0.

I tried and it seems to work

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)