Forums > MaxMSP

cycle~ tones crack and pop! help!

April 20, 2010 | 5:28 pm

I am using Max/MSP to create an intonation program for my graduate thesis. I wrote some of it in Max 4 and just updated to 5. The tone production is very simple – the user hits a key on the kslider (midipiano) which generates a cycle~ for the Hz I want to hear for that key. I think that my problem is arising from my little patch to sustain the tone as long as the user clicks on the piano – I’ll include that patch, that detects a mouse clicking on the key and holds the tone until the click is lifted.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
  1. clickonoff.maxpat

April 20, 2010 | 5:48 pm

It looks like the clicking is caused when you open and close the gate~ after your tone generator. Doing this with gate means that the amplitude will flip between 0 and 1 instantly, which will cause a click.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 20, 2010 | 6:06 pm

hmm.. any suggestions to fix this? Is there an easier way to make a midi keyboard generate digital audio with a click>

April 20, 2010 | 6:15 pm

I played with the Transratio patch because it’s essentially done what I’m trying to do. The clicks and pops are in those tones as well. Is this a computer performance issue, or something else? My computer shouldn’t be slowing it down any.
Max 5.0examplesmax-tricksnotes-and-pitchpitch-to-freq-ratio

Does anyone else get burps in the sound when doing this?

April 20, 2010 | 7:11 pm

swap out gate~ with matrix~ and look into it’s ramp method with three arguments in the help file.

April 20, 2010 | 7:19 pm

Did you try timlloyd’s patch? That use of line~ pretty much gets rid of the clicks.

April 20, 2010 | 7:31 pm

If this patch creates any pops or crackles, or any "sample-discontinuity-artefacts", then you should perhaps check your DSP settings – I tested this with my very prehistoric and lazy onboard soundchip and it’s fine:

Brendan

April 20, 2010 | 8:53 pm

What do i do with these streams of scrambled code? I tried putting them in a txt file and renaming it to .maxpat, but it won’t open.

April 20, 2010 | 9:09 pm

This question wins the most FAQ contest. Select all the text including these lines:

then, in Max, select New From Clipboard.

April 20, 2010 | 9:20 pm

thanks! i’ll try those suggestions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)