Default values for M4L device?

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:53pm

Default values for M4L device?

I poked around in the docs and forums, and I didn’t find this addressed. How do we set the default values for a device? I’ve somehow screwed mine up, and when I add the device, it comes up with some undesirable values. If i edit the values in Max, then save, it still loads with the wrong menu settings when I drag the device into Live. I don’t want to loadbang their values, then that would presumably screw up any “presets” that are saved in Live.
What determines the initial values?

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:41pm

If you look in the inspector for the live.* objects you will see settings for “Inital” and “Initial Enable”. This is one place you can set this. There is also a column in the View->Parameters window to set this if you want to see all your parameters.

AB

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:29pm

Thanks, Andrew

What part of the pattrs is best suited for this?

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:38pm

They’re unrelated. If you choose to use pattr, I suppose you’d add some logic and go with preset one. Please bear in mind that there’s an order in which things initialize: parameters, then pattr, then presets, then objects with ‘loadbang’ methods, then loadbang objects. If you try mixing them, you’re probably looking to make your life more complex than is necessary.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:59pm

Thanks AB. I think I know why my initial values got screwed up. I redid some interface things, and drag-copied (I know, I know, *so 4.x) some menus to create them. As a result, they took on the “default” value of the thing I drag-copied.
As an aside, let me again lobby for a “copy/paste style” such that you could copy the style of 1 ui object (color, border, font, etc) and paste it onto another ui object. Then, maybe I can get out of this lousy habit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.