defining steps whilst ramping from one value to another

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:52pm

defining steps whilst ramping from one value to another

hello!

I’m quite happy with [line]‘s functionality, just that for my issue I’d also like to define the steps it should take to get from 1 to 100

“start at 1, then progress to 100, taking steps of 10″ … (time not even being of relevance in this case)

any ideas?

cheers!

-jonas

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:30am

Do you want it to ramp smoothly and then momentarily stop at each step, or jump immediately to each step? If the former, check out [bline] with multi-sement lists. If the latter, you can just sequence values of 10, 20, 30, etc, or use something like an [incdec] –> [* 10].

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:50am

line takes a second argument for time grain, won’t that work? You’d need to match it to your ramp time, but that should be an easy calculation.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:22am

thanks for all the suggestions!

@bkshepard: yea, had a look at [bline] before, doesn’t suit (for I’m looking for the jump-without-stop method. and [incdec] would be quite cumbersome for I’m looking for an automation that takes care of several ramps (keeping my bangs at a minimum)

@raja: [trunc~] is indeed an awesome tool :) too bad there seems to be no equivalent in max. what I didn’t mention (for I was roughly just looking for the right object) ist that I’ll be working with floats within the range < 1

@seejayjames: you’re totally right with that. I guess it won’t hurt to stick with [line], it does suit my intention best – and doing some basic maths won’t hurt anyone. grin

cheers! &

all the best

-j

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.