Forums > MaxMSP

Delay~ not accepting maxsize

March 25, 2009 | 2:19 pm

Hi all,
Having a little issue with the delay~ object not wanting to accept the message ‘maxsize [int]‘ via a message box (have tried both left and right inlets). The delay~ works fine when if i set the object to ‘delay~ 44100′, but i need the delay memory allocation size to be fixed to the DSPs sampling rate (so variable as the user can change this).

Any help will be appreciated!

I’ve included the patch that i’m using at the moment using the adstatus.

Cheers!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 25, 2009 | 2:40 pm

The [delay~] object doesn’t take a "maxsize" message. You need to set this value when you instantiate the object. Surely you could just set it to the maximum value you would use with the largest sampling rate? If I’m telling massive lies then someone please correct me!

lh

March 25, 2009 | 2:49 pm
thereishopeforus@hotmail.com wrote on Wed, 25 March 2009 14:40
The [delay~] object doesn’t take a "maxsize" message. You need to set this value when you instantiate the object. Surely you could just set it to the maximum value you would use with the largest sampling rate? If I’m telling massive lies then someone please correct me!

lh

according to the help files is says under the ‘maxsize’ message – "The word maxsize followed by a number designates that number as the amount of memory allocated for the delay line (in samples). The default value is 512."

But yes, i could set it to a a high value, but i’ve got 60 of these delays and so it could get pretty ram intensive (the program already is), so wanted it to automatically adjust according to the sample rate.

i think if you set the delay with an inital size, like ‘delay~ 44100′ then it seems to be accepting the maxsize message but it’s odd that it doesn’t want to change if you set maxsize without the inital size.

March 29, 2009 | 4:34 pm
Visibleman wrote on Wed, 25 March 2009 08:49
But yes, i could set it to a a high value, but i’ve got 60 of these delays and so it could get pretty ram intensive (the program already is), so wanted it to automatically adjust according to the sample rate.

Are you running a Mac classic ? Back in those times the massive amount of 10 MB of ram could be called "ram intensive". 60 seconds isn’t really a lot. Just stop thinking about optimization until you really get into problems (in your case the difference between 44.1 and 48 kHz will gain just 936k…(3900*60*4))

Stefan

March 31, 2009 | 1:00 am

Thanks. This has been fixed for the next incremental version.

Best,

March 31, 2009 | 6:42 pm

To which inlet of [delay~] should the maxsize message be sent?

April 1, 2009 | 11:11 am

Like I said, it’s been fixed for the next incremental, so don’t expect it to work in the current version. You’ll be able to send the message to any input.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)