Forums > MaxMSP

Delay with diffusion

February 1, 2013 | 3:02 pm

Hi all,
I’m trying to create a delay with diffusion, as in TapeEcho of Reason. Instead of using allpass I tried to use a delays as the first reflections of the reverb described in "The Theory and Technique of Electronic Music" http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node124.html .
The result is a good blur, but if I want to make a feedback the signal returns clean at the first echo. How can I avoid this?
Thanks in advice!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 1, 2013 | 4:47 pm

It appears that the original click is getting to the output, but if the feedback loop is not enabled (0) it is effectively masked by the accompanying ‘blur’. When feedback is enabled it is then easier to hear. I don’t know how true your patch is to the original version but you probably need to avoid allowing the original impulse to appear at the output of the delay chain if you want to use feedback, which is what it currently does via the [+~ ] objects in the cascade of [p delays]…

February 2, 2013 | 9:43 am

Thanks spectro!
I haven’t took care to the original impusle, so I tried to fix it in a simple way, subtracting the two channel, and it works!
however, in this way, the result is only one channel from two, and I’m wodering if there is another way for use also the second channel instead of duplicating all.
In fact I don’t want to reproduce the reverb because I tried only to understand rotation matrix without succeed; when I simply put in series the first level I discover that in this way the sound is blurred with less correlation than using allpass.

Cheers

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)