Demo version limitation possibly?

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:32am

Demo version limitation possibly?

I have a patch I have created and saved as a plugin. When I load the plugin into Digital Performer, ever so often the audio just blanks out for a second, then comes back. I do not see this behavior in Max/MSP.

If not, where would I even begin to look for this?

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:24am

Afaicr, the Pluggo demo restriction is a few random
bleeps every now and then not audio cutting out.
Audio blanking out is quite often symptomatic of some
kind of feedback loop – especially if you have
recursive objects like filters, delays etc. in your
patch. I usually put a ‘clear’ button somewhere in the
patch which sends the ‘clear’ message to any objects
which are likely to blow up (alt-cmnd-click on ‘em to
see if they accept a ‘clear’ message)
Beyond that, I think you’ll have to post the patch
before anyone can help you any further
cheers
Roger

— Rick Burnett wrote:

>
> I have a patch I have created and saved as a plugin.
> When I load the plugin into Digital Performer, ever
> so often the audio just blanks out for a second,
> then comes back. I do not see this behavior in
> Max/MSP.
>
> If not, where would I even begin to look for this?
>

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:04pm

I agree with you on what the problem might be, I have some synchronization issues with my patch that I am trying to work out. So I am in the process of rethinking the way I’ve implemented the GUI.

What I notice is my data values are getting delayed with respect to matching data. I’ve used buddy objects to help, but I am not sure I’ve used them in a way that is correct.

I thought loops cause stack overflows, but I did notice when I had a flonum box & a slider hooked together, before I used ‘set $1′ between them, they were each updating each other and causing nice issues.

I think I also suffer from trying to do too much without modularizing more of it.

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:57pm

Erm, I don’t think plugins exported from MSP are counted under the Pluggo demo there. What I have experienced is that turning off delay compensation fixed the dropouts with many of my plugins.

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:50pm

Plugins made in maxmsp will work fine in the Pluggo full version in demo mode. The only things which are “demo” about the full version of Pluggo are the PLuggo plugs themselves, the rest is just the standard runtime.

If you forget to run AU scan after building your plugs they will not show up, that’s probably more likely the problem in DP. AudioUnit Scan.app was installed by Pluggo to your Applications folder.

If there are other problems – show us the patch.

-A

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:58pm

I see the patch, that is not the problem. I ran the scan. The issue was during playback, while having previously messed with the UI controls, the audio would stop for a second.

I am more apt to believe it’s a problem with how I’ve wired up the UI and have spent some time ‘unspagetti’-ing it :) So far, things are looking better, but I have not tested it in DP again yet.

To the other comment, when you mention delay compensation, do you mean in the host (DP) or is there some setting in the plug-in that controls the calculation? Maybe I am created such a load of messages that it interferes with that.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:08pm

hows system cpu usage doing when you play with those knobs?

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:12pm

I figured out the two problems I was having, now my plugin works perfectly.

1. I had a series of messages that needed to be [set $1] between them as I wanted their values updated, but not to send out the data again. The value of the slider was updating itself, not good.

2. I had a bunch of stuff for synchronization of values when generating some curves. When I dragged the controls, these calculations were causing a bunch of timing issues because of how I had used [buddy] messages that were not working properly. Rewired it all and rethought the flow and it solved all the problems.

So in the end, it was new programmer limitation :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.