designing patches to run on an iphone/android

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:52pm

designing patches to run on an iphone/android

i was wondering if anyone has had any success developing patches designed specifically to run on iphones/androids as a standalone application. I know that apple has an issue with apps that are a programming environment in and of themselves, but is there a way to create a standalone application, similar to saving a patch as a .app or a .exe, so that they can run entirely on the phone (i.e, not simply controlling a patch that is running through on a computer).

I’ve made a relatively simple patch where users can set parameters for a drone-based piece, and the interface and audio output are simple enough (and it is not cpu-draining) that I think it could run really effectively as an iphone/android app.

Let me know if there’s anyone that knows how to do this, or if anyone would like to help me with this project. I’ve attached a .mxf file of the patch (compressed in a .zip) so you can see what i mean.

Attachments:
  1. LittleMouse.zip
Jun 7, 2010 at 1:06pm

Learning ObjectiveC is the way to go. Apple doesn’t like apps that makes apps for the app store, without using their apps, that makes a lot of apps, for one sentence ;-)

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:00pm

Or go the RjDj way: convert your patch to Pd, then read up in the RjDj documentation how to make your own Pd-patches run in RjDj on the iPhone.

(note that searching on this forum would have given you this answer as well)

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:08pm

I did see the convert-to-pd method earlier – I was hoping that there might be a way to do it to where I wouldn’t have to rewrite the entire patch in pd.

It looks like either way, though, I’m going to have to learn either ObjectiveC or pd. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.