Forums > Jitter

desktop hardware recommendations

October 7, 2009 | 3:41 pm

Hi All,

I feel a little naive posting what is essentially a, "What is the best computer to buy" type of question. However, my apartment was just burglarized and I have a few particular questions before replacing my laptop.

Most of the hardware talk on here is about laptops for live performance, but I mostly use Max/MSP/Jitter as a tool for content creation so I am considering a desktop. I am debating between the Mac Pro and a similar PC workstation, like the Dell Precision series.

A lot of it comes down to whether I want the nVidia GeForce or Quadro (I assume Tesla is useless for Jitter at this point). I’m not sure where the type of stuff I do in Jitter falls between gaming and visualization.

Although I do some OpenGL stuff, the primary patch I use is just for video processing. Can someone refresh my memory as to whether I can send "frame" messages to jit.qt.movie if I route it to jit.gl.videoplane? I seem to remember that not working. If not, perhaps it would be better to get more CPUs for the video stuff rather than focusing on the graphics card(s).

There is also the operating system issue if I go with a PC. I seem to remember hearing of problems running Jitter on Windows. Alternatively, has anyone tried running Mac OS on a PC, i.e. "Hackintosh?"

Finally, I am debating the advantages of multiple graphics cards. Will I be able to take advantage of them with one screen, or are they only useful for multiple outputs? Also, is there a way to somehow split one HD output to several SD screens? For instance, if I went all out and got 4 graphics cards, instead of driving 8 monitors could I hook them to 16 or so crappy crt televisions (for an installation I’m working on)?

Anyway, sorry for the longwinded post. I would appreciate advice anyone wants to offer. Also, what is up with the release date on the Red Scarlet (cameras were stolen too)?

Thanks,
Zach

October 8, 2009 | 2:20 pm

Sorry, just realized this thread answers many of my questions:
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=126511&rid=0&srch=quadro#msg_126511

It seems Jitter gets higher framerates on the gaming cards than the more expensive CAD ones.

However, I still have a few open questions:

1. Will I be able to run my video on the GPU and still have access to individual frames? This would determine if I should put money into getting more CPUs and RAM or better (and more) graphics cards.

2. Can I use multiple GPUs to crunch graphics for one screen, or are they only useful for multiple screens?

3. NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB vs. ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

The hardest decision at this point is whether to go with one Radeon or four GeForces, which are the standard options on the Mac Pro.

Thanks,
Zach

October 9, 2009 | 4:08 pm

anyone, anyone…

I’m also wondering if anyone has tried the solid state drives on the new MacBook Pro and whether they have a significant speed advantage for video vs. the 7200 RPM optical.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)