Forums > MaxMSP

detected out-of-range float …

February 10, 2009 | 8:15 am

I have a patch with two subpatches and from a certain moment on I got a warning in the Max window when I save this project:

"detected out-of-range float value (inf or nan) when writing JSON file, replacing with 0"

I get 6 of these lines at once. Unfortunately I saw them too late and cannot tell after which action it appeared. And I have several places with 6 items. What does this message mean, a field or an object setting or what?

Thanks in advance.

February 10, 2009 | 7:52 pm

February 11, 2009 | 5:15 pm

Quote: Peter Ostry wrote on Tue, 10 February 2009 20:52
—————————————————-
> The message is gone today, strange.
—————————————————-

The message said that it replaced the NaNs with zeros in the JSON file. So when it’s opened, the bad values are gone. The next time you save there are no NaNs, so no warnings. Not all that strange.

Somehow you managed to do something evil like divide zero by zero and get the value into a number box or somewhere else. Since JSON won’t store NaNs, there’s no way to trace this once you’ve closed your patch.

February 11, 2009 | 5:30 pm

Quote: Peter Ostry wrote on Tue, 10 February 2009 20:52
—————————————————-
> The message is gone today, strange.
—————————————————-

The message said that it replaced the NaNs with zeros in the JSON file. So when you open the JSON, the bad values are long since gone. The next time you save there are no NaNs, so no warnings. Not all that strange.

Somehow you managed to do something evil like divide zero by zero and get the value into a number box or somewhere else. Since JSON won’t store NaNs, there’s no way to trace this once you’ve closed your patch.

February 11, 2009 | 5:35 pm

Don’t you just hate it when the Forum says it didn’t post your message please do it again, and you try to follow orders, and the message is posted twice?

February 14, 2009 | 8:49 pm

February 15, 2009 | 5:59 pm

Quote: stefantiedje wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 21:49
—————————————————-
> What’s a forum? I post messages withunderbird… ;-)
—————————————————-

I was one of the people who dissed the forum most early on.

For various reasons, after I came out of a period of hibernation, it was more convenient for me to use the forum rather than mail. Ironisch, wa?

Whichever… have you seen Wally’s announcements? I fear your days of using Thunderbird (or *any* mail client) are numbered.

Just hope the next-generation forum is more robust. I know I’m not the only person whose been tricked by the software into double-posting.

February 15, 2009 | 8:33 pm

Peter Castine wrote:

> Just hope the next-generation forum is more robust. I know I’m not the only person whose been tricked by the software into double-posting.

We’re hoping this will be fixed with the upgrade. However, if it’s not, you
should able to delete your double-post, so either way – problem solved.

cheers

w

February 18, 2009 | 10:25 pm

February 19, 2009 | 6:47 pm

iPhone?

February 20, 2009 | 1:51 pm

Quote: Peter Castine wrote on Thu, 19 February 2009 19:47
—————————————————-
> iPhone?

There’s an application to read google reader offline on the iPhone called Byline. It also caches the webpage associated to the rss so you can really read the forum directly (no problem of thread view then).

ej

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)