detonate problems recording note durations

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:10pm

detonate problems recording note durations

I have racked my brain about this for a while now, so I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this problem. In the detonate object’s help file there is an example where you can try out the various functions. It uses a timer object to produce the delta times between all note events, whether note on or note off. When you connect the output of the pack object to a print in the max window to view the list of events being sent to detonate, all seems fine, e.g.:

1317 52 51
941 56 48
962 59 43
1515 52 0
1 59 0
4 56 0

According to the format detonate understands for the first three inlets, delta time-pitch-velocity, this should simply play back as an arpeggiated triad with all notes held until released together. However, every time I play the sequence back the second note is never given its full duration. The note off comes very early resulting in the second note being a short staccato note and the first a third notes being held as they should be. No matter how many of these broken triads I record in one take, the second note is cut short in every one of them. In addition, *none* of the durations are correctly displayed in the graphic editor of detonate (even though two of them play back correctly).

Someone posted a year ago stating that the duration issue (I believe probably the same one I am experiencing?) had been fixed but he didn’t know when it would be “incorporated into a build”(?). From what I can tell this problem has not been fixed even in Max 6 as I have downloaded the demo and tested it.

I imagine others must have experienced these issues recording events into detonate. It certainly seems like it could be a powerful sequencing tool (and the graphic editor would really come in handy), so it is strange that something so simple would be an issue. Maybe there is as simple of a fix? I would be very grateful to anyone who could demystify this issue for me. :)

J.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:36pm

you probably should post an example patch

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:51pm

The example patch is simply the ‘detonate example’ subpatch in the detonate help file, as I mentioned above.

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:19pm

Here is an example patch which more clearly illustrates the problem. Simply clicking on the two messages beside record and play will demonstrate the issue.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Attachments:
  1. detonatebug.maxpat
Jan 10, 2012 at 4:16pm

It looks to me like detonate is not doing the right thing when matching note-ons to note-offs. Below is a simpler patch that still messes up. I think its a bug.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:16pm

It looks to me like detonate is not doing the right thing when matching note-ons to note-offs. Below is a simpler patch that still messes up. I think its a bug.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:30am

here’s a very basic example of a way to avoid using detonate when sequencing (no ui tho).

It uses borax and coll instead
needs refinement (ie way to stop playback loop etc)
cpuld be extended to use to capture MIDI data then dump into detonate for ui

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:20am

I also have an example called CollSeq, which also records and plays note sequences using coll and borax.
It can be found here: http://www.xfade.com/max/examples/

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:49pm

Hey guys, thanks a lot for these other options. This will definitely be useful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.