Forums > Max For Live

Device that allows just one button to adjust a parameter???

December 29, 2013 | 3:54 pm

Hi folks. So I’m looking for a M4L device that allows me to use just one mapped button to shift a parameter in increments. So, for example, I press a button, and it moves my chain selector up by a little bit. I press that same button, and it moves the chain selector up a little bit more, and so on.

I’d really appreciate some suggestions for this. Thanks folks!

Giacomo

January 2, 2014 | 9:51 pm

Do you dabble in making devices at all? That wouldn’t be a hard one to put together

January 3, 2014 | 9:12 am

just use counter object:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

January 5, 2014 | 12:21 pm

Hey guys. thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately, I’m totally green on proramming M4l devices.

AFWI, whats a counter object, and how do I use the code you pasted?

and Ryan, where’s a good place to start learning the basics of making a device for simple purposes like mine?

Thanks, folks!

January 6, 2014 | 12:55 am

Look at the building-blocks section of the tools folder in your max plugin library. You can open those up and copy/paste the code from those together into new patches and link them together much like a pedalboard or a modular setup.

Most people start by doing that, and downloading other patches at maxforlive.com, and copy/pasting parts of those together with the building blocks….

During this process you can learn quite a bit, because you see the code itself and how its parts are put together. You can right click any of their parts and click the Help button for that object, and it will tell you what it does and how it can be used… Or for more detail, you can look at the object reference.

If you look at some simple patches, look at what the parts do and how they’re put together, you’ll quickly get a sense of how to put your own patches together.

Once you start doing that, there are bound to be problems you’ll need a certain function in order to solve, which you haven’t become aware of yet. At those times you can use google, search these forums, ask a question… or, if you know of an object that does a similar thing or would make sense to use in conjunction with what you need, you can open the Help for that object and find a list of related objects at the bottom. You can also search maxforlive.com for other patches that may have a part which does the same thing, and copy/paste away.

Of course there are also the max tutorials, and they help a lot. I just tend to be the type to build the bike without looking at the instructions, if you know what I mean. Either way, the method of learning I described seems to be the most common and is effective. The tutorials, though, will give you a more comprehensive understanding of.. well, whatever that tutorial is about. Using both methods is probably the way to go

I highly suggest getting into it. It’s a satisfying process and there’s nothing like the feeling of using a plugin you’ve made yourself for the first time- suddenly opening up a world of new options for yourself, and being the first one to have the idea to do something… Then seeing all the downloads, knowing how you helped all those people!! It’s really great.

Either way, if I get some extra time over the next week I might throw this together, it seems like a useful tool. If you’d rather do it yourself just let me know and I’ll leave it up to you

January 6, 2014 | 12:59 am

Here’s some info on the tutorials:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/live_resources_tutorials.html

January 6, 2014 | 1:50 pm

wow, Ryan, thank you very much for such a thoughtful response. I’ll get into that stuff soon. but itd be great to see what u come up with for it, too. thanks again, man!

January 7, 2014 | 2:15 pm

Hey Giacomo,
a quick one, if you need any more help on this, let us know.

Attachments:
  1. inc.amxd

January 8, 2014 | 7:11 pm

AFWI, that looks great, but I can’t seem to be able to map the big button on your device to anything, in either keys or midi. any suggestions?

January 9, 2014 | 3:55 am

try now.

Attachments:
  1. inc1.amxd

January 9, 2014 | 2:36 pm

AFWI, you are officially the shit. thanks so much!

January 9, 2014 | 4:16 pm

hey AFWI, so I thought this was working, but not quite. It works to change the track mixer that I was testing this on. But it doesn’t work on chain selectors, which is what I really needed this for.

It seems to map to my chain selector properly, but the big button doesn’t work as its supposed to. a double click on it shifts the chain selector back and forth by single CC or so. single clicks don’t do anything.

(also, as a side issue, once you map the device to something, it won’t let you map it do anything else. you have to just replace the device with a fresh copy. not a big deal tho)

January 10, 2014 | 12:58 am

hey, fixed it. keep both files in the same folder.

Attachments:
  1. inc.zip

January 10, 2014 | 12:27 pm

hey AFWI, that fixes that, great job. BUT, there’s still one more little bug to it, and after this, I think it’ll be solid.

When you map the big button to an external controller, whether keys or midi, pressing that controller’s mapped input will push the Inc device’s big button in, and then another pressing of that controller’s mapped input will push the device’s big button back out. the problem is, the big button only does something when it is pushed OUT. so what that means is, you’ve got to press your controller’s mapped button TWICE in order for this M4L device to do anything.

I needed this device to have some real timing precision to it, so, as it is, I can’t use it yet. but it’s so close! I just need the big button on this device to activate its function when it is pressed IN, rather than out, and ALSO for there to be a way where a single MIDI/Key input will push this big button both in and then immediately back out.

But it’s coming along so great. I’m really stoked you’ve been able to put this together for the community! thanks again!

January 11, 2014 | 6:21 am

here you go

Attachments:
  1. inc1.zip

January 11, 2014 | 9:44 am

that’s it! the device is done, and, damn, that helps me out so much! I really appreciate all the revisions you made to get it going, AFWI. thanks again tremendously.

Giacomo

January 11, 2014 | 3:38 pm

Glad everything worked out!

May 24, 2014 | 8:06 pm

Hi AFWI! you made this device for me a few months ago, and it’s been working great. but for some odd reason today, it won’t work no matter what I throw at it. The three numerical value boxes are stuck at their default settings and won’t change. any ideas?

May 27, 2014 | 1:01 am

maybe try downloading the .zip again and replace the .amxd and .js files?
I had a look at the device and it’s nothing complicated.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)