dictionary_read behavior ?

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:07am

dictionary_read behavior ?

Hi,

1. Is the “dictionary_read” function always return a new allocated dictionary, or is it possible to pass a pointer to a valid dictionary to reuse it ?

2. Is “dictionary_read” / “dictionary_write” globally lock something ?

(max 5 SDK / max 6 SDK) ?

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:08pm

Yes, dictionary_read() always returns newly alloc’d memory.

It should not be locking anything globally. Are you seeing some sort of contention that leads you to believe that it is locking?

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:43am

HI,

“Are you seeing some sort of contention that leads you to believe that it is locking?”

Nothing precise ; but sometimes when i write a t_dictionary to disk i have a small lag (only the first time the function is used after the computer is turn on) ; I hate those kind of bug ; I expected that performing in the main thread would avoid to stall the timer thread but surely i have a contention somewhere (with the GUI for instance) that i can not find.

I must admit that it’s hard to understand locks implied with object_free and such. Anyway i gave up to understand what’s going on under the hood and decided to rewrite it using a STL map ;-)

Thanks for reply.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:06pm

Sure, that’s reasonable. Just be aware the std::map will probably not perform as well as t_dictionary for key lookups.

If you wanted to implement something like what t_dictionary does you would need to create your own class that includes both a std::unordered_map (for fast lookups) and a std::list (for sorting).

Cheers

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:42pm

Hi,

For now, I have not decided the structure i’ll use. I don’t know if i will go with a handy Python-like dictionary or with a map or even an hash table. I’ll wait to explore the Boost API before to do any choice. Anyway thanks for advices.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.