Forums > MaxMSP

Didactic patch – additive synthesis and filtering

December 22, 2011 | 5:01 pm

Following on from my short thread about getting combined sine waves to show a "proper" waveform in waveform~, here’s the working patch, in case it’s of any use to anyone. The solution was to use adstatus to sync the cycle~ objects.

ds.polycyle

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

ds.addsynth

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

waj
December 25, 2011 | 5:05 pm

Hi Dave,
thanks for this!

You might want to add some patch chords: out of inverter and inside patcher polycycle.

December 25, 2011 | 7:22 pm

It’s also a good idea to tell people when you’re using externals in your posted patches. In this case people need to install the Virtual Sound library that accompanies the book ‘Electronic Music and Sound Design.’ I believe they sort of "hide" the instructions to getting the library in the book so people will buy it (it’s worth it).

waj
December 26, 2011 | 3:45 pm

+1

December 28, 2011 | 4:28 pm

Yes, that is exactly where the externals came from – but that side of the patch can be removed, and the filter output taken from the additive sine side. Though it _is interesting to see the two different ways of making waves.

And the book is definitely worth buying – though you might be able to find the externals on their site? – virtual sound.com

@waj – the investor is disconnected because it wan’t needed. That was when I was trying to figure out what would produce something that _looked_ like a square wave as well as sounding like one. I left it in there out of interest, in case I wanted to see what i did before, and in case i wanted to try it out again to see the effect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)