different time signatures for different sequencers

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:19pm

different time signatures for different sequencers

im trying to set different time signatures for different parts in my midi sequencer.
so i can have f.e. 3/4 in one beat and 6/8 in another. the problem is that i don

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:54pm

Hi.
I have something kind of like this set up.
I don’t really think of it as being in time signatures, but it’s basically the same thing.
I get a main pulse from the transport and three different metronomes, set to quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes.
Each of my sequencer tracks runs off of these pulses going into a counter object. The counter object can be changed to different max counts, and I can choose which of the three pulse speeds (quarter, eighth, or sixteenth) is banging the counter.
So, essentially, I can have one sequencer track set to cycle on 12 sixteenth notes (3/4) and the other on 6 eighth notes (6/8).
Maybe that helps? It is a little odd in that it’s not actually getting the beat number from the transport, but it works for what I need.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:04am

If you decide upon a fundamental “shortest” note, like a sixteenth, you can bang that out to everywhere you need it, then subdivide as needed for 8th or 4th notes. This would be like the 8 in 6/8. Then you group those to create the measure (assuming you want something different to happen on the downbeats, or wherever in the measures). I use a counter with no args, then run through a modulus (% 4 for example) –> sel 0 to make the cycles count however high I need (0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 using % 4).

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:54pm

thanks for the reply ericrobert, but i want to keep a masterbang.

and

thanks seejayjames, i have tried this but i get confused with this part “then subdivide as needed for 8th or 4th notes”. can you be so kind and check the little patch below or maybe post an example?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:19pm

> thanks seejayjames, i have tried this but i get confused with this part “then subdivide as needed for 8th or 4th notes”. can you be so kind and check the little patch below or maybe post an example?
>

Here’s a modified version. It doesn’t really use “time signatures” as defined in traditional notation. It simply lets you take the master pulse (which should be set at the fastest notes you use, like 16ths), subdivide it once if you want to use e.g. a quarter-note instead of the 16th for your basic pulse (denominator), then subdivide that further to establish measure lengths of that pulse.

So the dropdown menu does the first subdivision, into pulses: set it to 1 and you’ll get 16ths, set it to 2 and you’ll get 8ths, etc. Then the number box says how many of these it takes to finish the measure and have a downbeat. It essentially accomplishes the same thing as a time signature, but in a slightly different way. There are lots of ways to do this but I’ve used this a lot and it’s plenty flexible using presets.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:29pm

one note: the [tempo] object acts similarly to, but not the same, as a plain metro. I usually use [metro] for this system and set the ms to the shortest beat. [tempo] allows for its own subdivisions etc. which may be confusing the issue here slightly. Try the same patch with [metro] instead, maybe this will make more sense. Lots of possible ways to do all these things.

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:32pm

thanks seejayjames for the explication and for the clear example.
this works very nice in my patch! i will try with a metro as well.

thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.