Forums > Dev

difficulty getting drawto default context name via SDK C API with jitter object

May 29, 2013 | 5:10 am

I have an external, and within it want to create a jit.gl.shader. I request assistance in correctly retrieving the default/auto drawto context name. All else seems to be working. Below is pseudo-code…

I successfully create the shader with:

x->psymDrawTo = _jit_sym_nothing;
jitGLShader = (t_jit_object *)jit_object_new(_sym_jit_gl_shader, x->psymDrawTo);

If I leave the context name as _jit_sym_nothing, I am hoping that the jitter object shader will take on the auto/default context name after the render has been banged; the same as I see on native box jit.gl.shader’s. What I experience, is that sometimes I can retrieve the auto/default generated drawto context name and other times I continue to retrieve _jit_sym_nothing. It might relate to when I create the jitter shader object (before the 1st bang or after) but I haven’t clearly seen the pattern.

t_max_err max_myobject_drawto_get(t_max_myobject *x, t_object *attr, long *argc, t_atom **argv)
{
	char alloc;
	t_symbol *psymDrawTo;
	t_max_err memErr;

memErr = atom_alloc(argc, argv, &alloc); // allocate return atom
	if (!memErr)
	{
		if (x->psymShaderName)
		{
			t_jit_object *jitGLShader;
			if (jitGLShader = (t_jit_object *)jit_object_findregistered(x->psymShaderName))
			{
				// BUGBUG the auto default context is usually only available if I create the shader before the 1st bang
				if (psymDrawTo = jit_attr_getsym(jitGLShader, _sym_drawto))
				{
					DEBUGPOST("found jit->drawto->s_name: %s", psymDrawTo->s_name);
				}
				else
				{
					DEBUGPOST("pointer to drawto sym is NULL");
					psymDrawTo = _jit_sym_nothing;
				}
			}
			else
			{
				DEBUGPOST("jit_object_findregistered(%s) failed", x->psymShaderName->s_name);
				psymDrawTo = _jit_sym_nothing;
			}
		}
		else
		{
			psymDrawTo = x->psymDrawTo;
		}
		atom_setsym(*argv, psymDrawTo);
		return MAX_ERR_NONE;
	}
	else
	{