Forums > Jitter

DIPS and jitter

June 27, 2009 | 7:46 pm

hi

Anybody here who has experience of using DIPS (http://dips.dacreation.com/)? Is using DIPS and jitter together even possible? I’ve seen some suggestions on the forum that suggest they are not compatible? Is it true that there is no way of getting the content of DIPS out into a matrix or something?

a+
gar

June 28, 2009 | 4:03 pm

ok so perhaps rephrasing the question, how can I view a Quartz Composition inside of Max?

I’ve tried quartzplayer and DIPS which both seem to be cut off from jitter, I’ve also tried jit.qt.movie reading a composition directly which others on the forum claim work but I can’t see to get working. I could use jit.desktop but frame rate would be pretty bad I guess, anybody got a good Quartz Composer to Jitter solution working (I don’t need the other direction)?

a+
gar

efe
June 28, 2009 | 4:28 pm

Hello Garrett:
I have used the DIPS and I know personally two of the developers(they study at the same faculty here in The Netherlands). The idea behind the library is to make available the QC/quicktime technology inside max. So yes, you can import material from quartz composer and manipulate it inside max, HOWEVER, DIPS doesn’t share the rendering context with the jit.gl objects, thus, you cannot use them in parallel(or at least as far as I know).
Primarily I started using quartz composer because of the GLSL, but I need to admit that the software is really amazing. The riddle is to figure out how to use the best of both worlds. QC users tend to prefer VDMX to control their patches, but maybe someday we can have something like jit.gl.qc
Emmanuel

June 28, 2009 | 4:44 pm

hi, DIPS does indeed seem amazing but at the moment the logic of developing an external for Max which tries to go into competition with Jitter (and even GEM) seems odd. Why re-invent the wheel and just not focus on making it compatible with these? There are quite a lot of objects in DIPS but the though of having to relearn how to do all the things I can do in Jitter is a bit daunting and slightly silly.

a+
gar

efe
June 28, 2009 | 5:30 pm

I don’t think the developers of the program are thinking in terms of competition. DIPS has a quite old history starting from late 90′s, so it has developed independently from jitter.
Let’s say that, as far as I know, there is not a direct way to get the data from DIPS into Jitter. I will ask the developers after the summer when holidays are finished and they are back in the Netherlands. Maybe there is a solution not so straight forward.
Emmanuel

June 28, 2009 | 5:39 pm

If you do ask them and get an answer do post it here, I’d be interested (and I suspect others) to known if there is some way for this to work.

I found this as well:
http://www.kevinquennesson.com/index.php?clicked=projects&cat=show&page=5

but the developer does not seem to provide a downloadable version.

a+
gar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)