Display dialog on application quit?

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:51pm

Display dialog on application quit?

Hello,

I’d like to display “are you sure you want to quit? (yes) (no)” message when the user tries to close a standalone Max application. Is this possible? I imagine this can be done via a special (quit) button on the interface that triggers the dialog, but is this possible when using the OS window close control? Cheers!

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:31am

probably (dirty) message to [thispatcher] ; though not sure in standalone ( (dirty) will ask for saving changes, so standalone i don’t know what it will ask)

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:32am

you might want to look at [closebang] also

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:07am

“Are you sure you want to quit?” is non-standard UI, so probably not a good idea unless you’ve got very special circumstances. You probably feel your circumstances are special, but hard to judge.

Anyway: coupla things you can do.

1) Set up a custom menu and menu handler and do what you want in your quit handler. Check tutorials for custom menus in collectives/standalones. Actually, I think this may be the only practicable approach. This allows you to completely re-structure the default menu bar, which may have lots of advantages.

Otherwise, look at [closebang]. The problem here is that I don’t think that object can cancel the quit process. But it might be capable of handling a “Save unsaved changes?” type of dialog.

By all means try a ‘dirty’ message to your patcher, but, I have the same doubts about this as Vichug. Let us know if it works for you.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:09pm

Peter and Vichuk, thank you both for your replies and suggestions! As you suspected, marking [thispatcher] dirty did not cancel the quit process in a standalone. Nor did a [closebang] into [dialog], or into a custom subpatch dialog window — both exited immediately without displaying any dialog. However a [closebang] into [savedialog] does interrupt quit process.

I am actually trying to display a “save unsaved changes?” dialog. The “are you sure you want to exit?” was a bad example of what I’m actually trying to do! So it looks like a solution using [closebang] into [savedialog] is possible. However I’d like to supply a folder path into [savedialog] to open the location where user should write their data — the location where other application data will be stored, so that I can open this location next time the user runs the app. It looks like [savedialog] doesn’t accept a folder path though. Are you aware of any ways to skin this cat? Thanks again!

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:27pm

On further digging, it looks like I can specify the folder I want to open in [savedialog] by supplying the folder path into [relativepath]->[prepend set]->[filepath default], so that should work for what I’m trying to do. Thanks again!

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:57pm

DOOOOH! I guess that wasn’t it… In my test patch I was actually using [opendialog] to select the folder path, and it looks like THAT’S what was causing the folder path to also open in [savedialog]… not supplying the folder path to [filepath default] like I mistakenly assumed… Jus’ shootin from the hip over here!

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions if you are aware of a way to supply a folder path into [savedialog]. In the meantime I might have to start looking at the custom menu handlers Peter suggested. Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.