Forums > MaxMSP

Display formulas

November 26, 2008 | 3:36 pm

Hi there,

Is there a way to display formulas clearly in Max? I use quite a lot of math equations and want them to be shown as a comment for a fast overview. Right now I am using the ‘comment’ object but something similar to formula editors like used in Word would be a lot more clear.

Of course i could use screen shots of formulas in Word but I think it should be possible internally to prevent a large amount of files.

Thnx,
poul

November 26, 2008 | 3:45 pm

I’ve never heard of anything in Max that can do that. Most obvious way to do it would be to write an external that shows the formula from a string, but this would still be quite a bit of work to build.

I’d probably stick with the pictures for now…

November 26, 2008 | 8:42 pm

If you are using Max 5, one option is to do formulas in HTML and display them with the jweb object.

Here’s some examples of math formulas in HTML:

http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/mathematics.html

Then you might have a bunch of html files instead of a bunch of image files, which doesn’t seem worth it. But you could make one big html file containing all your formulas and use anchors (named tags) to display the desired formula, so just load up jweb with:

formulas.html#formula1
formulas.html#forumua2
etc

November 29, 2008 | 11:32 am

November 29, 2008 | 3:39 pm

Frankly, preparing an image with something like Equation Editor (which can be run as an independent app, no need to fire up Word) is probably the best way to go. If what you’re after is a nicely formatted formula.

December 1, 2008 | 11:29 am

I will stick with the images indeed. It actually isn’t that bad to work with.. A version of ‘expr’ which automatically displays a clear formula would still be ace though.

Thanks for the responses!

poul

waj
December 17, 2008 | 10:55 am

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)